Caravan and camping site licence

To run a caravan and camping site you need a site licence from us. This licence covers both caravan sites and camping sites and you will need to apply for this licence if you wish to run either one of or both types of site.

Camping site conditions

You will need a licence for if you allow your land to be used by the public for camping on more than:

  • 42 consecutive days a year
  • 60 non-consecutive days a year

Caravan site licence conditions

A licence is required for any land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and for any land used in conjunction with it.

Caravan site licences may have conditions that cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on site for human habitation
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • what type of caravans are on site
  • the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

The conditions attached to a licence will normally relate to the internal arrangement of the site and its facilities, but a licence may not be granted unless the site also has the benefit of planning permission.

When you will not need a licence

A licence will not be required for:

  • caravancs or camping that is within the grounds (curtilage) of a dwelling house
  • use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights
  • use of holdings of five acres or more in certain circumstances
  • sites occupies and supervised by exempted organisations
  • sites approved by exempted organisations
  • meetings organised by exempted organisations
  • agricultural and forestry workers
  • building and engineering sites
  • travelling showmen

Who can apply for a caravan and camping site licence

The owner of the land can apply for a caravan and camping site licence.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

How long a licence lasts

There is no time limit. However, if your site only has the benefit of temporary planning permission, the site licence will expire on the same date.


Please contact us for up to date costs.

What you need to provide with your application

Your application should detail the land that the application concerns and details of your planning permission as well as any other information required.

What happens once you have made an application

Once we receive your application, we will consult with any relevant services or authorities.

A decision will be made on your application within 6 weeks of you submitting it. If we expect the consultation period to go beyond 6 weeks we will inform you of this in writing.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the 6 weeks.

Apply for, change or transfer a caravan and camping site licence

You can apply online for a new licence, to change the details of an existing licence or to transfer your licence to a different owner.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

You should contact us first.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence can appeal to the Magistrates' Court. This must be done within 28 days of the licence being issued.

We may alter conditions on your licence at any time but we must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If you disagree with the alterations then you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must also be served to us.

If you have a complaint about standards on a touring, static holiday or a residential caravan site, contact Sheffield City Council’s Private Housing Standards at who can provide advice.

Small EUGO Logo

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?