Cost of care

If you are over 18 years old and have eligible care and support needs you may have to contribute towards the cost of your care and support.

We carry out a financial assessment to check how much you can afford to contribute. We take your income and capital into account, and ask for financial evidence and supporting documents.

The amount you have to pay is called a financially assessed contribution and will not be more than you can afford. Our Fairer Contributions Policy explains this in more detail.

Paying towards non-residential care and support

Examples of non-residential care and support are:

  • home care (day and night)
  • day activities
  • respite care
  • supported living
  • support provided by a Personal Assistant (PA)

If you have been assessed as needing to receive non-residential care, please download and read our ‘Paying for your non-residential care and support' guide.

Paying towards care and support in a residential or nursing home

If you have been assessed as needing to receive care and support in a registered care home, please download and read our ‘Paying for your residential care and support’ guide.

Buying your own care and support

If you are buying your own care and support (often called self-funding) you’ll find lots of useful tips and advice on the Sheffield Directory.

Managing your care and support finances

We want to help you to make informed, affordable and long term financial decisions about your care and support. 

You can get lots of useful information to help with managing your finances and planning for your long-term care and support on the Sheffield Directory. It also has information about local and national organisations that can give you advice and support.

Contact Customer Services

1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?