You can apply for a school place for your child online.

In year applications (school transfers)

The normal years for school entry applications are Reception, Year in Junior Schools and Year 7). If you want to apply for a school place outside normal school entry years you can apply for a transfer to another school. Any parent wishing to apply for a transfer must obtain a Common Transfer Form from their current school. You can apply for up to three schools.

The current school must complete Section 2 and send the application to the Admissions Team by email at or by post:

Floor 5, West Wing
S1 4PE

We will manage your application on your behalf. We aim to inform you of the decision for the school you have applied for within 15 school days and the reason for that decision. If it is not possible to offer a place at any of your preferred schools, we will give you advice on the statutory appeal procedure. The Co-ordinated Admission Schemes are available on request.

Secondary School 2022

If your child was born between 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011 they will transfer to secondary school in September 2022. You are now invited to apply for a secondary school place for your child. You must do so by 31 October 2021. You will have already been sent information about how to apply. Please apply online or by completing the application which you can either download from this page or by calling 0114 273 5790.

Children new to Sheffield

If you are new to Sheffield and would like a school place please call the Children Missing Education Team on 0114 273 6462 or email You can make an appointment to complete an application to apply for a school place.

Year 6 to Year 7 Open Evenings

As a result of Covid-19 social distancing requirements, it is likely that there will be changes to open evenings for children transferring to secondary schools in September 2021. Details of open evenings given to parents in their application packs may not be accurate now. Some schools are arranging virtual open evenings and online presentations. Parents should check directly with individual schools for further details.

Reception 2021/2022

It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that they apply for a school place for their children when entering Reception for the first time. Many parents are surprised at how far in advance they need to apply for a school place for their child, who may only be 3 years old at the time of applying.

Applications are invited every Autumn term (mid-September/early October) and the closing date for submitting applications is 15 January each year.

Authorities must enable pupils to enter Reception for the first time from the September after their 4th birthday. The dates below provide information as to which academic year pupils are entitled to attend according to their date of birth.

When will my child start Reception?

The majority of parents will apply and pupils will take up their place within these timescales.

Date of birth: 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018

  • your child will be eligible to start in September 2022
  • you can apply from Autumn 2021
  • closing date for applications is 15 January 2022

Date of birth: 1 September 2016 to 31 August 2017

  • your child will start in 2021/2022
  • you can apply from Autumn 2020
  • closing date for applications is 15 January 2021

Some parents may have concerns about their child beginning school because they are very young and they do not feel they are ready for full time education. 

There are options for parents to consider as long as they comply with the law which requires pupils to be in full time education from the beginning of the term following their 5th birthday.

Other options

Defer entry

You can request to defer entry until later in the academic year such as January or after Easter (but must be attending full time from the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday). Parents wishing to defer entry until later in the academic year, should discuss this with their child’s allocated school after allocations are confirmed each year.

Attend School part-time

Your child could attend school part-time for a period before going full time or reaching compulsory school age. The pattern of any part-time attendance is at the discretion of the Headteacher.

Delay entry

You can request to delay admission into school until the term after their 5th birthday (statutory school age). This option is only available for summer children.

Summer born children

Summer born children are pupils whose date of birth falls between 1 April and 31 August.

Parents of summer born pupils currently have the right to request that their child’s admission into full time education is delayed until the term after their 5th birthday: the following September which is the beginning of a new academic year.

Parents wishing to consider this option will then need to decide whether they wish their child to enter full time education in Y1 (child’s chronological year group) or Reception (education out of year group).

Any request must be made in writing to:

Nichola Furniss
Principal Admissions Officer
Moorfoot Building
Floor 5
S1 4PL

Entry into Sheffield Sixth Form School for September 2022

Before you apply for a Sixth Form school place, we strongly recommended that you check your preferred school’s prospectus and visit the school at their Open Event. You should also check carefully the 2022 GCSE Entry Requirements for courses/subjects. A copy of the 2022 GCSE requirements document is available on request. Email or call 0114 273 5766. Alternatively, contact the schools directly.

Current Y11 students attending schools that use the Sheffield Progress system should apply online using their school log in.

All students attending private, independent or schools outside the Sheffield Authority need to complete the paper Sixth Form Application form. You can apply for up to three Sixth Form schools and rank these in preference order. Estimated grades must be signed off by the current school. The current school should then email the form to the Sixth Form Admissions Co-ordinator

Students already on roll at a Sheffield 6th form School who list that school as their first preference will have any other preferences for Sheffield 6th form schools disregarded.  

The closing date for all applications is 31 January 2022. The applications will be passed to the schools for consideration. Students who applied via Sheffield Progress will need to check their account on 1 March 2022 for the outcome of their application. Those who applied on a paper form will receive a decision letter, sent to the student’s home address, on 1 March 2022. If a conditional offer is made, you must accept this offer by the date stated in the letter or email.

Applying for a Sixth Form school place, either online using Sheffield Progress or a paper application form, does not guarantee a place in any of your preferred schools.

If you have any questions please email or call 0114 273 5766.

Admission Arrangements 2022-2023

The School Admission Regulations 2012 require that all admission authorities must determine their admission arrangements that will apply for admission applications the following school year.

We are responsible for determining admission arrangements for all our community and voluntary controlled schools. We are responsible for admission arrangements at schools that are their own admission authority such as Academies, Voluntary Aided, Trust and Foundation schools.

The Admission Arrangements for Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools for 2022/23 were determined on 24 February 2021.

Other Schools and Academies must also determine their own Admission Arrangements.

Admission Arrangements 2023-2024

We are responsible for determining admission arrangements for all our Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools. Consultation took place between 22 November 2021 and 14 January 2022. The admission arrangements were determined on 17 February 2022.

All documents including the co-ordinated admission schemes are available on request.

Any objections to the admission arrangements must be referred to the Schools Adjudicator by 15 May 2022. You can find further information on how to make an objection on GOV.UK: Office of the Schools Adjudicator.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) 

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) attend a mainstream school or college.

You should apply through the admissions process described above, unless your child has an EHC Plan. It might be helpful to give information about your child’s needs when applying.

Admissions for oversubscribed schools are prioritised using a set of categories. These include living within the school catchment or having siblings at the school. Medical, social or special educational needs are not a priority category, but they can be used as a tiebreaker in a priority category if needed.

Such needs will only be considered if you give supporting evidence from a professional. This could be a letter or report from the hospital or your doctor. You must do this before the closing date for applications. 

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan

Children and young people with EHC Plans attend mainstream schools and colleges, integrated resources (specialist units in mainstream schools) or special schools.

You can only apply for a special school or integrated resource if your child has an EHC Plan. 

Your child’s school place will be arranged by our SEND Statutory Assessment and Review Service (SENDSARS), not through the general admission process. 

SENDSARS will contact you when it is time to apply, to discuss your preferred education setting. They will do this when your child is due to move from nursery to primary; primary to junior; junior to secondary; and secondary to Post 16. 

If you would like your child to move to a different school mid-year or outside standard admission times, you should ask for an emergency review of their EHC Plan. You can ask your child’s current school or SENDSARS for this.

If your child is being assessed for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan

If your child is being assessed for an EHC Plan but we have not yet agreed to issue a plan, you should apply for their school place through the normal admissions process.

Find out more information EHC Plans on the Sheffield Directory.

Admission for children outside their normal age group 

You can ask for your child to be educated with a different age group. This could be because they are gifted and talented or have experienced problems such as ill-health. 

If your child already attends school, you can ask their head teacher about this. If your child is not yet on a school role, please contact us for information and advice.