Green belt

Sheffield was one of the first British cities to attempt to limit uncontrolled development via a green belt. 

The Sheffield Association for the Protection of Local Scenery was established in 1924 (later to become the Sheffield, Peak District and South Yorkshire Branch of the Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE)). 

A green belt was established in 1938, concentrating on the south and west of the city. A formal green belt plan was not produced by the City Council until 1980. Following a public enquiry the plan became operative in late 1983. 

Today the green belt of South and West Yorkshire comprises over 248,000 hectares. 

Our booklet lists sources available within Sheffield Local Studies Library and Sheffield City Archives for the study of the history of Sheffield's green belt. 

Contact us to find out more, book in advance or order archival materials.

Contact the Archives and Local Studies Library

First Floor, Central Library
Surrey Street
Sheffield
S1 1XZ
0114 203 9395 (Sat, Mon, Tues)
0114 273 4753 (Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat)