Report an unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Properties that are occupied by 5 or more people forming 2 or more households, regardless of the number of floors in the property, need a Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence from us.

Landlords who operate a property like this without a licence may be subject to fines and legal action.

Investigations into unlicensed properties

We regularly carry out investigations to identify houses that require licences, where landlords have not applied for a licence they will be at risk of:

  • criminal prosecutions with unlimited fines
  • a civil penalty of up to £30,000
  • losing rent through possible rent repayment orders. The Council have to consider these in every case
  • problems getting possession of properties due to the non-availability of Section 21, Housing Act 1988

Where a landlord or agent has a previous history of non-compliance with licensing legislation we may go direct to legal proceedings for failure to apply.

Report an unlicensed property

You can tell us if you believe a property that requires an HMO licence is being rented without one.

Contact Private Housing Standards

11th Floor
Moorfoot Building
S1 4PL

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?