Home energy efficiency advice

If we are more efficient with our home energy use we can reduce our energy bills and do our bit to tackle the climate emergency.

The information contained on this page is for owner occupiers, landlords and tenants in private, Council or Housing Association properties.

Private landlords have legal duties and requirements around a minimum level of energy efficiency, more information on this can be found here.

Warm Homes Sheffield

This is a partnership between Sheffield City Council and energy experts AgilityEco.

It provides a route to access a number of energy saving programmes that can help Sheffield residents reduce energy use and stay warm and well.

More advice and local support services can be found below.

Advice on saving energy and lowering your bills

We have identified a list of resources that you can use in order reduce the costs of your energy bills:

Local and national support services

There are several support services available that offer further help and advice when it comes to energy saving and money advice.

The services set out in the list below are not provided by the Council and therefore we cannot give assurances regarding the assistance provided.

Home Energy Advice: Local Energy Advice Partnership

Provided by AgilityEco, The Local Energy Advice Partnership (LEAP) provides tailored energy advice based on your needs. It can provide advice on a range of energy related topics including:

  • issues with energy suppliers
  • use of appliances and heating controls
  • energy efficiency in your home
  • ways to use less energy 
  • energy efficiency grant advice

LEAP can also provide information on benefits, budgeting and debt advice and energy tariff switching. You can access the service online or by calling (freephone) 0800 060 7567 or emailing support@applyforleap.org.uk.

Enable Warmer Homes

If you are a homeowner or private tenant in Sheffield with a household income under £31,000 per year, you may be eligible for a free energy assessment report.

Enable Warmer Homes have successfully obtained grant funding to carry out Energy Performance Certificate and Comprehensive energy assessment reports. These are worth up to £400. 

The assessment takes approximately 2 hours. It will help identify areas of your property that may be improved with energy efficiency measures, such as insulation and heating. 

Where possible, the assessor will also help to signpost you to relevant grant funding.

For further information and to request an assessment, contact Enable Warmer Homes through retrofit@efficiencynorth.org or visit EN:Able Warmer Homes.

Citizens Advice Bureau Sheffield

Citizens Advice Bureau offer an extensive online guide to problems with your energy bill. They can also offer an Energy Affordability Helpline which provides advice for people who may be struggling to pay their energy bills. Contact them on freephone 0800 448 0721 for fuel debt advice and income maximisation.

Green Doctor

Green Doctors, provide specialist advice on how households can reduce their energy bills and make their homes more energy efficient.

Green Doctors can provide advice on:

  • energy bills and fuel debt support
  • grants for boilers and insulation
  • heating systems and controls
  • reducing energy costs in the home
  • water bills and debt
  • damp/condensation/mould advice

Improve Energy Efficiency Service

The Improve Energy Efficiency Service is a free Government endorsed service. If you own a property in England or Wales you can get recommendations for home improvements that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep warm. 

For each recommendation you can see an estimated cost of making the improvement, how much you could save on your bills and next steps if you want to make the improvement. 


Cost of living support and advice

Here you can find out the local and national support available to help you manage the cost of living in Sheffield.

Contact Housing Energy Efficiency Team

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?