We have a duty to promote and maintain high standards of conduct for elected and co-opted Members and have arrangements in place to deal with complaints.
We can only investigate complaints alleging a breach of the Members’ Code of Conduct by:
- Sheffield City Councillors
- Voting and non-voting co-opted members of the Council
- Bradfield Parish Councillors
- Ecclesfield Parish Councillors
- Stocksbridge Town Councillors
In dealing with complaints we will be fair to both the complainant and Member and progress matters in accordance with the timescales set out in the procedure. Complaints will be handled in the strictest confidence at all times.
No action taken
It is likely no action will be taken where:
- a significant amount of time has elapsed since the alleged events
- the allegation relates to a cultural or recurring issue relating to standards within the Council
- the matter should be dealt with by some other method
- complaints have been made about the Member relating to similar issues that have previously been dealt with through this procedure
- the complaint appears to be trivial, vexatious, repetitious or a general misuse of the opportunity
- the conduct occurred during political debate or could be regarded as a political expression of views or opinion
Making a complaint
Complaints alleging a breach of the Members’ Code of Conduct should be made in writing using the complaint form and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to:
Sheffield City Council
If you need advice or assistance in submitting a complaint please contact Sarah Cottam in Democratic Services (email email@example.com or phone 0114 273 4015).
Withdrawing a complaint
The complainant can withdraw their complaint at any time by informing the Monitoring Officer in writing. The Monitoring Officer will confirm this in writing with the complainant within 5 working days and also inform the Member that the complaint has been withdrawn.
Where a complaint has been withdrawn, the Monitoring Officer reserves the right to pursue the issues in the complaint.