Far reaching view over Sheffield from Meersbrook Park

Situated south of the city centre, Meersbrook Park is set on a steep hillside in Meersbrook, offering panoramic views over central Sheffield. Within the park are two historic buildings, Bishops' House and Meersbrook Hall.


Admission and opening times

Meersbrook Park is open from dawn until dusk. It's free to visit.


Features and facilities

Parking

  • car park at main entrance off Brook Road

Disabled facilities

  • two disabled parking spaces in front and adjacent to Meersbrook Hall

Meersbrook community building

  • used by a variety of clubs

Bowling greens

  • open from beginning of April to end of October
  • floodlighting

Meersbrook Hall and walled garden

  • Grade II listed building
  • walled garden, free access to the public

Bishops' House Museum

  • best preserved timber framed house in Sheffield
  • usually open on Saturdays and Sundays

Multi-games area, tennis court and playground

  • all-weather football/cricket pitch
  • skate bowl
  • children's playground
  • tennis court at lower end of the park

 


Getting to the park

The main entrance is off Brook Road where there is a car park.

Cycling

Meersbrook Park is a 20 minute bike ride from the city centre.

Public transport

There are bus stops on Chesterfield Road, Norton Lees Road and Derbyshire Lane. It takes about 20 minutes by bus from the city centre.

About the park

Meersbrook Park is a Victorian era municipal park and remains one of the most intact examples in Sheffield. The landscape is remarkably unchanged since it was opened in 1887. The original intention to provide breathing space in a densely populated area is still significant now. Meersbrook Park is on our local register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

Meersbrook is supported by Meersbrook Park Users Trust, Friends of Bishops' House, Friends of Meersbrook Hall, Heeley Trust and Meersbrook Bowling and Social Club.

Meersbrook Hall and walled garden

Meersbrook Hall is a Grade II listed building in Meersbrook Park. It was the home of the Ruskin Museum for over 60 years. The Hall is now run by the Heeley Trust and the Friends of Meersbrook Hall.

The walled garden is open to the public and maintained by the Heeley Trust with assistance from volunteers.  

Bishops’ House Museum

Bishops' House is the best preserved timber framed house in Sheffield and is a Grade II listed building. It was built in 1554 and is tucked away at the top of Meersbrook Park. Bishops' House typifies the development of the smaller English domestic house in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Inside, the house retains many of its original features and looks just as it would have done in the 17th century, giving a tantalising flavour of Stuart England. The Great Parlour is restored as a typical dining room and the first floor chamber contains the original bedroom furniture and fittings listed in a 17th century inventory of contents.

Meersbrook community building

The community building is used by a variety of groups on a regular basis, including playgroups and after school clubs.
This pre-fabricated temporary building was constructed in the early 1940s. We believe it was used as a day nursery during the war. 

Bowling greens

The bowling greens are managed and maintained by Meersbrook Park Bowling Club. Floodlighting allows for an extended season and evening matches.

Contact Parks and Countryside Service

Level 3, West Wing Moorfoot Building Sheffield

Green Flag Award Winner