The vehicle must be:
- electric or hybrid fuel type
- emit less then 75g of carbon dioxide (CO2) per kilometre travelled, with a capability of travelling a minimum range of 10 miles with zero CO2 emissions
You can use the DVLA checker to see if your vehicle meets these standards. It may show 0g on the CO2 emissions for some diesel vehicles as this data is not on their records. Such vehicles are not ULEVs and do not qualify for a green parking permit.
Where you can use the permit
A green permit allows you to park in pay and display bays located in the city centre inner and outer parking zones, either:
- on street
- in most car parks that we run (subject to time limits)
It cannot be used in:
- other types of parking bay (such as disabled bays, permit holder parking bays)
- in other parking permit zones
- car parks we don’t run eg university permit holder car parks
Parking time limits
There are no time limits for parking with a green permit in most of the pay and display bays in the city centre inner and outer zones.
However, the following car parks are restricted to a maximum stay period of 6 hours for green permit holders:
- Wellington Street car park
- Carver Lane car park
If you intend to use any of these car parks please send an email to email@example.com and we'll send you a clock for you to display in your windscreen.
You must display the cardboard clock with the correct times as you may get fined if you don't.
Number of permits
You can apply for one permit per vehicle. There is no limit to how many permits a household can have.
Green permits are free.
How long a permit lasts
Permits last for one year. It is your responsibility to ensure your permit is renewed.
Apply for a green permit
You will need to provide evidence that your vehicle meets the required standard to qualify for a green permit.
To give us time to process your application and activate your permit, make sure you apply for your new virtual permit at least 10 days before you need it.
Change your permit vehicle registration
You can change the vehicle that your permit is for.