Housing Associations are independent, not-for-profit organisations which provide affordable homes for people in need of housing. They're regulated by Homes England, a government agency (formerly known as the Homes and Communities Agency).

Their rents are set in line with government guidance and they usually offer an ‘assured tenancy’ which provides considerable protection for the tenant, similar to secure tenancies offered to Council tenants.

Housing Associations provide a wide range of housing in various parts of the city including family housing, flats and houses for single people, couples or sharers and housing designed for older people.

Some Housing Associations also offer affordable homes for sale through shared ownership. This means the Housing Association sells a portion of a property to the buyer, for example 50%, and charges rent on the other portion. The aim is to help people buy their own home.

Apply for Housing Association properties

There are two ways to apply:

  1. register with the Council’s Housing Register and bid for Housing Association properties through the Property Shop in the same way as you do for Council properties. Property adverts state who the landlord is and explain who is eligible to apply

  2. apply directly to a Housing Association. Some have their own applications process and let some of their properties outside of the Property Shop process. There will usually be an application form to fill in, either online or as a paper form, for each Association you decide to apply to. Download the Housing Association properties in Sheffield guide to find an association

Contact Council Housing Service