Empty properties are a concern to us because they have the potential to negatively affect individuals, local communities and the city as a whole.  They are also assets that, if occupied, would help meet the demand for housing in the city.

Our aim is to reduce the number of empty properties in Sheffield, and we can provide owners with information, advice and assistance to help bring empty properties back into use. 

Selling an empty property

We offer a ‘Purchase and Repair Scheme’. We might be interested in buying your empty property to add to our social housing stock. Properties must be in areas where there is sufficient demand for social housing, and we will generally consider properties up to a maximum of £90,000. If you are interested please download the application form, fill it in and return it to us.

We also run an ‘Empty Property Matching Service’ where we hold a list of private buyers looking for empty properties. You can advertise your property to them using this free service. If you are interested please download the registration form, complete it and return it to us.

We can also provide advice on any schemes run by other organisations in the city. Please contact us for the latest information. 

Letting an empty property

We run a ‘Private Rented Scheme’ where we can help landlords find tenants for their property, matching the right person to the property and finding a home for someone who needs it. We also provide advice on schemes run by other organisations in the city. Please contact us for further information.

Buying an empty property

Our ‘Empty Property Matching Service’ can also help buyers. If you have seen a particular empty property that you are interested in, you will need to try to contact the owner to see if they wish to sell. You can do this by:

  • delivering a letter address to ‘The Owner’ to the empty property
  • talking to neighbours of the empty property
  • contacting the Land Registry for the name and address of the registered owner. There will be a small charge for this service
  • using telephone directories, the electoral register, family history websites, etc. to obtain the owner’s information. There may be a charge for some of these services
  • Council records: we may hold information on the owner but for data protection reasons we are unable to disclose such information. Where we hold contact details for the owner we can forward a letter to them on your behalf for them to contact you if they are interested in selling the property

Houses into Homes