Pay your civil penalty or rent repayment order.

Civil penalty

This is a financial penalty that we can impose on an individual or organisation, as an alternative to prosecution, for the following offences under the Housing Act 2004:

  • failure to comply with an Improvement Notice
  • offences in relation to licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation
  • offences in relation to licensing of houses under Part 3 of the Act
  • offences of contravention of an overcrowding notice
  • failure to comply with management regulations in respect of Houses in Multiple Occupation 

If you have received a 'final notice' about a civil penalty, and you do not intend appealing the penalty or the time you have to appeal has run out, then you should pay the penalty. 

Civil penalties must be paid online by debit or credit card.

Rent repayment orders

For some offences relating to renting out properties, where payment of housing related benefits have been paid to the tenant, we can apply to the First-tier tribunal for a rent repayment order, which is an order requiring a landlord to pay back up to one year’s rent.

If we have been successful in making an application for a rent repayment order, you should make that payment by debit or credit card.

Contact Private Housing Standards

11th Floor Moorfoot Building S1 4PL

Supporting information