We may undertake long term or short term works projects to maintain and improve the city's Council housing stock.
We are responsible for painting the communal areas of blocks of flats. There is now a project taking place to review the painting programme.
The review will look at:
- the scope of the programme to determine what properties and elements of work will be included
- the specification to determine the type of paint to be used and the operational painting process, for example - the number of coats of paint required
- the prioritisation process of properties that require painting and timescales
The outcome of the project will aim to provide value for money and be better aligned to the requirements of properties, current capital investment projects and will provide information to inform future capital programmes. This will create longer term efficiencies and limit costs to leaseholders.
Housing improvement project
Building on the success of the Decent Homes programme which saw over 39,000 homes receive investment work, the Council has agreed a £300m, 5 year investment plan for council housing in the city. The priorities for the programme are protecting the building fabric, reducing the cost and number of responsive repairs required and improving the energy efficiency of homes.
Key elements of the programme will include
- roof renewal/roofline and roof repair work to approximately 30,000 homes
- adaptations to approximately 300 homes per year improving accessibility for individual tenants
- providing new energy efficient gas central heating to a further 12,000 homes
- refurbishing the Balfour sheltered scheme
- improving the appearance of communal areas for approximately 10,000 low rise flats in the city
- kitchen and bathroom renewal work to homes that do not meet the Sheffield standard
- installing double glazing and new external doors to homes that do not meet the Sheffield Standard
- completing the Are Environmental works programme focussing on door entry and security works
- undertaking fire safety works to all our low rise flats
- increasing the supply of council housing in the city through a programme of acquisitions and new build
There is now an address search facility on each of the investment programme areas where customers can find what work is planned for their home and when.
Before work starts on any aspect of the above programme customers will receive a letter explaining the work that will be undertaken. You will be provided with a named contact person for the work.
If you have any questions regarding the 5 year plan then you should contact us.
Surveying the condition of your home
We have a team of surveyors that visit homes across the city to record information about the condition of all our homes. This is called Stock Condition Survey and is used in reports to both Sheffield City Council and Central Government and helps us to plan for future maintenance and service priorities.
We plan to survey all homes. Each survey usually takes an hour to complete and the surveyor will need access to your home.
There are three main elements to the Stock Condition Survey:
- the external environment. This will look at the condition and appearance of the estate including communal areas
- property exterior. The surveyors will record information about the exterior of your home , such as roofs, windows, doors and boundary fencing
- property interior. The surveyors will record information such as the age of kitchens and bathrooms and information about energy efficiency
Please allow the surveyor access and don’t forget to ask the surveyor for identification before you let them into your home.