You can call us Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

For emergency repairs during evenings, weekends and bank holidays, call our usual phone number. If possible avoid calling on Monday mornings as this is our busiest time.

Open on Saturdays for new repair requests

Until the end of November, we are open on Saturday 10am to 4pm for you to request an appointment for a new repair. This is a trial only so our resources are limited.

You can report repairs that need doing online or by phone, arrange your own repairs, or make use of our Handyperson Service if you are 60 years or over. 

Generally you won't get charged for repairs, but if the damage was caused by a tenant, family member or visitor, we will recharge the tenant for the repairs. You should go to your local Area Housing office and sign the recharge form which confirms your agreement to pay the cost of the repair.

When you request a repair, please tell us:

  • your basic contact details
  • your property reference number (from your rent voucher book)
  • what and where the repair is
  • when someone can call to do the repair  

Timescales for repairs

Emergency repairs (these include works to burst pipes, boarding up of doors and windows, gas leaks and total electrical failure) will take 4 hours.

Urgent repairs (which include works to heating breakdowns where you have no other form of heating, replacement door locks and blocked drains) will take 24 hours. 

Appointable repairs can take up to 25 days. Repairs will be completed as soon as possible. You can choose from the following 2 hour appointment slots:

  • 8am to 10am
  • 10am to 12:00pm
  • 12:30pm to 2:30pm
  • 2:30pm to 4:30pm

These repairs include works to loose fitting doors and windows, leaking guttering, loose floor boards, a light or electric socket not working. Please call us to order your repair and we will do everything we can to arrange a suitable time.

How to report repairs

You can phone us or report a repair online - you need to have registered for this service before you can use it.

If you are not at home at the appointment time the job will be cancelled. You will then have to call us again to reorder the repair.

Damaged, lost or destroyed home contents

Although we insure the structure of your home our cover doesn’t include what is inside it, your furniture or personal belongings.

If you have to replace the contents of your home following flooding or escape of water, fire, accidental damage or even theft, it could prove very expensive. We therefore strongly recommend that you get your personal belongings insured.

We work with a major insurer to offer home contents insurance that can be paid in weekly instalments, and unlike other insurers, there is no excess, and therefore nothing to pay in the event of a claim.

Full details of the scheme can be found on the Council Tenants Home Contents Insurance Scheme page.

Planned work can take up to 55 days. This is for jobs that need planning due to the nature of the work required. These include manufactured items like external doors and windows or where large amounts of plastering are required. We will contact you with a suitable appointment.

Arranging your own repairs

For certain types of repairs you can arrange to have the work carried out yourself if:

  • you have ordered a repair 
  • the value of the repair is less than £250
  • the repair has not been completed in the time promised
  • you use a contractor on the Council's approved contractor list

The Repairs and Maintenance leaflet tells you how you can go about giving a notice of claim and includes a form for doing this.

After giving us your notice of claim, you can get an approved contractor to do it for you unless:

  • the repair is done
  • you receive a letter denying your Right to Repair. This letter should be sent within 10 working days (or 5 days if the repair should have taken a week or less).

The Handyperson Service 

If you are a tenant and you are 60 years old or over, disabled, or suffer from severe health problems our free Handyperson service can help you with jobs such as:

  • fixing curtain rails
  • fitting shelves
  • checking and fitting battery operated smoke alarms
  • fitting additional door locks or chains
  • hanging pictures, mirrors, clocks and so on
  • changing light bulbs
  • fitting wireless solar security lights
  • moving furniture within your home
  • securing carpets or trailing wires
  • assembling small pieces of flat pack furniture

These are just a few examples of the things we can do, so it’s always a good idea to ask us if we can help. We are not able to help with wallpapering.

If you're not happy with the quality of a repair

Please tell us if you are unhappy with the quality of a repair, or with the way you were treated when the repair was arranged or carried out.

You can do this in person at any of our First Point reception points or by telephone - you can also email us. We will acknowledge your comments in writing, and give you a reference number.

If you have made a complaint, we will respond within 28 days, telling you what we are going to do to put it right. If your complaint is complex and we are not able to respond in full within 14 days, we will let you know what is happening.

Compensation for improvements you have made to a property when you leave

You can claim money back for improvements you have made to your council home when you are about to leave the property.

We encourage you to spend money on improving your home, so will pay compensation for:

  • new central heating systems and extra fires, radiators or thermostatic valves
  • up to 5 new kitchen units and making the kitchen larger
  • new bathroom suites, showers or moving a bathroom upstairs
  • new windows to replace metal ones or wooden ones put in before 1946, and double glazing
  • garages, car ports, hard standings, porches, conservatories and extensions
  • loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and extra electrical fittings

How much you will get

The amount of compensation depends on how long ago you did the work, the quality of the work and its condition.

When you claim, someone will visit to see the improvement and we will work out your payment on a sliding scale, taking account of its age and condition.

How to claim

Complete the Tenants' Compensation Scheme form and send it to us as soon as you’ve told us you are leaving.

If you want to claim for more than 3 improvements, please put the extra details on another form or a blank sheet and attach it to the main claim form. You can also get claim forms from Neighbourhood Offices and First Points.

When you claim, please send all the receipts for the work you have done with your form. This will help us pay you easily and quickly.

You can claim when you give notice to leave the property you have improved. You can’t claim before then or more than 2 months after leaving.

The rules

To claim compensation you must show that:

  • the Council gave the go-ahead for the work before you started it
  • it was you who paid for the work and not a previous tenant
  • the work is not something paid for by a council grant

If you can’t find anything in writing to confirm this, we might be able to help.

If you did the work yourself, we won’t pay out for labour but will take a builder’s costs into account.

We won’t consider improvements costing less than £50 and you can’t get compensation if you’re buying your home through Right to Buy.

Contact Council Housing Repairs Service

0114 273 5555 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm