If you’re a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status.

We are one of the local authorities supporting EU, EEA and Swiss citizens to complete the ID verification part of the process. You can also apply directly through the Home Office.

There will be no change to current freedom of movement rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period on 31 December 2020.

What is settled or pre-settled status

Both allow you to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020. You will have until 30 June 2021 to apply for either settled or pre-settled status. It will also mean you can continue to access public services, such as the NHS, as you do now.

Who can apply

Except in a few cases, you can apply for either status if:

You can also apply for settled status for your child or children.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

This means you need to apply even if you:

Non EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You may be able to apply if you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen but:

  • you used to have an EU, EEA or Swiss family member living in the UK (but you’ve separated, or they’ve died)
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen and you lived outside the UK in an EEA country together
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • you’re the primary carer of a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • you’re the child of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, or the child’s primary carer

Which status you can apply for

Which status you get will depend on how long you've lived in the UK.

Settled status

You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve lived in the UK for a 5 year period known as ‘continuous residence’.

Five years’ continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you’ve been in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period. The exceptions are:

  • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (such as childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
  • compulsory military service of any length
  • time you spent abroad as a Crown servant or as the family member of a Crown servant
  • time you spent abroad in the armed forces or as the family member of someone in the armed forces

After 5 years continuous residence you can also apply for citizenship.

Pre-settled status

If you started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 (or by the date the UK leaves the EU without a deal) but you do not have 5 years' continuous residence, then you can apply for pre-settled status.

You can apply to change this to settled status once you’ve got 5 years’ continuous residence.

If you will reach 5 years’ continuous residence at some point before 30 December 2020, you can choose to wait to apply until you reach 5 years’ continuous residence. This means that if your application is successful, you’ll get settled status without having to apply for pre-settled status first.

You can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date you get pre-settled status before you need to change it to settled status.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal

In this case the deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

Who does not need to apply

You do not need to apply if you have:

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you moved to the UK before it joined the EU

You only need to apply if you do not have indefinite leave to remain. If you do have indefinite leave to remain, you’ll usually have a stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office saying this.

If you work in the UK but do not live here (‘frontier worker’)

You do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you’re a ‘frontier worker’.

Read the guidance for frontier workers to find out:

  • whether you qualify as a frontier worker
  • what your rights will be
  • what your family members need to do to stay in the UK

If you’re exempt from immigration control

You cannot apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You do not need to do anything to continue living in the UK while you’re exempt from immigration control.

You’ll have been told if you’re exempt from immigration control, for example because you’re:

  • a foreign diplomat posted in the UK
  • a member of NATO

If you stop being exempt, for example if you change jobs, you will usually need to apply to the scheme within 90 days. You’ll be able to apply after the deadline of 30 June 2021, as long as you were living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

If you have criminal convictions

If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you do not pose a security threat.

You’ll be asked to declare convictions that appear in your criminal record in the UK or overseas.

You do not need to declare any of the following:

  • convictions that do not need to be disclosed (‘spent convictions’)
  • warnings (‘cautions’)
  • alternatives to prosecution, for example speeding fines

You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

You’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status if you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

If you’ve been to prison, you usually need 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.

Applying with the Home Office

It is free to apply for settled or pre-settled status through the home office. You can do so by:

  • downloading an app for Android phones and submitting your documents using it
  • applying by post

Applying with us

You can request an appointment online or by phone to process your application in person, at First Point, Howden House.

We cannot process your application if you have already begun an application with the Home Office.

If you have used the self-serve application and submitted your application, but have been unable to scan the chip on your passport, you will need to post your passport to the Home Office.


Our EU Settlement Service costs £14.

What you will need to bring

You will need to bring these to your appointment:

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us, if you do not have one of these ID documents then you will need to apply to the Home Office.

We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.

Alternatively you can call to make an appointment on 0114 273 4567 and select option 3 then option 1.

Contact Customer Services

1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Mon to Fri, 8:45am to 4:45pm.