Appeal your Council Tax bill

If you think your Council Tax bill is not correct, please contact us.

It may be that we don’t have all the information about your circumstances to send you a correct bill. If you tell us more about your circumstances, the amount of Council Tax you need to pay may change, and we’ll issue a new Council Tax bill.

If you still don’t agree that your bill is correct, you may be able to appeal.

Eligibility to appeal

Under the Council Tax regulations, you can appeal:

  • the band that your home has been valued at
  • your Council Tax bill

Challenge your Council Tax band

You’ll need to contact the Valuation Office Agency to appeal against your Council Tax band.

Appeal your Council Tax bill

You should tell us as soon as possible if you think:

  • your home shouldn’t be in the Valuation List (for example because major structural work is being carried out at the property, or the property has been altered and is no longer a domestic property)
  • you’re entitled to a discount or exemption but we haven’t granted it to you
  • you should not be named as the liable person for the Council Tax charge

Once you’ve contacted us, if you’re still not happy with our decision, you have the right to appeal.

Contact Council Tax

0114 273 6633
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:30pm
PO Box 1310
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?