Make your money go further

A large proportion of government benefits and allowances go unclaimed every year, meaning you may be entitled to benefits and support that you are not receiving. Furthermore, there are a number of ways that you can reduce your outgoings and increase your income, making your money go further.

On this page you will find information to help your money go further, including benefits checkers and ways to reduce your household bills.

Alternatively, if you would like assistance with assessing your circumstances to find out how you can make your money go further, you can start a web chat with one of our team who will book an appointment for you.

Help with your Council Tax bill or arrears

Council Tax support

You could be eligible for a reduction of up to 100% in the amount of Council Tax you pay each month, if you’re on a low income or you claim benefits. You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you receive will depend on:

  • your circumstances (for example income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Certain people are eligible for discounts or exemptions from Council Tax, including students, people who are disabled and people who live alone.

Help with rent and Council Tax

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme can help you if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but you still need help to pay your rent. If you get Council Tax Support (CTS) you can also get help to pay your Council Tax under the Council Tax Hardship Scheme (CTHS).

Help with your water bill

If you are on benefits, on a low income, have debt connected to your water bill, or have a medical condition that means you need to use more water, you may be eligible for help paying your water bill. Yorkshire Water runs a number of schemes that can reduce the amount you pay for water each month.

Check if you could get additional income

Billions of pounds of benefits go unclaimed each year and many people don’t know what they are entitled to, but a simple check can assist you to make a claim. Use a benefits calculator to find out what you could receive.

Help with telephone and broadband costs

Many telephone and broadband companies have social tariffs for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits.

Access crisis grants if you're in hardship

If you are in hardship and cannot afford food, energy and other essentials, you may be eligible for a payment under the Household Support Fund.

If you are in crisis following an emergency or disaster, or need help to remain in your home, you may be eligible for a payment under the Local Assistance Scheme.

Contact the Community Helpline

0114 273 4567
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 6pm
1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

8.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?