Apply for a child performance licence

A child performance licence means an individual child can take part in your performance or activity. It is required if you are paying a child for their involvement in your performance or if the child will be absent from school for the performance.

If you are unsure whether you need to apply you should contact us.

Who can apply

You need to apply for a licence if your organisation is holding a performance. You will need the consent of the child's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to do this.


You should submit your application at least 21 days before the first day of the performance. Any applications submitted with only 5 clear working days’ notice or less (this does not include the day of submission and the first day of performance) will be refused, as the necessary checks cannot be completed within this time.

If school absence is required for the performance then you need to ask the headteacher of the child’s school to complete the headteacher’s permission.

Children performing abroad

If a child is going to perform abroad we cannot grant a licence. You will instead need to apply to the Magistrates Court where the child lives.

Contact the Licensing Team

Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD
Ask us a question
0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
0800 7311 689 (emergency out of hours)

Is this page helpful?

A-Z of Services a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 123