What to do if you receive a Migration Notice

The process of moving from a six-benefit system to Universal Credit as a single benefit is known as Managed Migration. 

As part of this process, The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will be issuing a letter called a Migration Notice to those in receipt of the six 'legacy' benefits. This letter will advise that their benefits will be ending and that they will need to claim Universal Credit by a certain deadline.

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

What you need to do

If you receive a Migration Notice, you must claim Universal Credit within the deadline stated by the DWP, which is normally 3 months.

If you are claiming Universal Credit because you have received a Migration Notice but know you will be worse off, you should still claim for Universal Credit as you may be entitled to Transitional Protection. Transitional Protection is an extra 'top-up' amount which will be paid to you to ensure you are no worse off claiming Universal Credit than you were when claiming legacy benefits.

If you are still unsure you should seek advice from a benefits advisor at your local DWP office or Job Centre. You can also contact the Citizens Advice for money, debt advice and whether Universal Credit is right for you, by visiting their website or calling the Help to Claim line on 0800 144 8444.

Further support

If you require any support after you have received your Migration Notice, you can visit the government website or call the Universal Credit Migration Notice Helpline on 0800 169 0328.

Contact Customer Services

1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?