Get a care and support assessment

You can ask us for a care and support assessment to see if we can help with your long term care needs.

You may need help to live as well as possible with illness, disability or impairments. This can include help with things like:

  • washing and dressing yourself
  • preparing and eating meals
  • getting out and about and keeping in touch with friends and family

You can request an assessment on someone else's behalf if you believe they need help.

How the assessment works

A social care worker will meet with you, and anyone you want to be involved, to discuss your care and support needs. They will ask how you manage daily activities, what help you need to stay independent and what you want to be able to do in the future. 

The assessment includes:

  • a review of your ability to carry out day to day activities  
  • a financial assessment to work out what you can afford to pay towards the care you need

You may find it helpful to have a friend or family member present. If no one is available we can arrange an independent advocate for you. We will also listen to the views of professionals involved in your care, like your doctor.

We will ask what support you get from your family and if they would like an assessment of their needs as carers so we can support them too.

How we will decide if we can support you

The assessment will look at how you carry out daily tasks in these areas:

  1. managing and maintaining nutrition
  2. maintaining personal hygiene
  3. managing toilet needs
  4. being appropriately clothed
  5. maintaining a habitable home environment
  6. being able to make use of the home safely
  7. developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  8. accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  9. making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  10. carrying out caring responsibilities for a child (if applicable)

If you can't carry out daily tasks in 2 or more of these areas and that has a significant impact on your wellbeing, then we have a duty to support you.

If you are able to carry out daily tasks, or you are unable to complete some tasks but this doesn't affect your wellbeing, then we will not provide support.

What support we will offer

If the assessment finds you have eligible needs we will work with you to decide how these needs can be met and what outcomes you want to achieve. We will then help to arrange the support that you need.

We will ask you to contribute what the financial assessment shows you can afford. If you are able, we will ask you to pay the full cost of your care. If not, we will ask you to pay what we think is reasonable and we will pay the rest.

The record of the activities and services to be arranged to meet your needs is called a care and support plan.

Request a care and support assessment

To request an assessment, please contact us.

Contact the First Contact Team

Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?