Report adult abuse

This page is about reporting abuse to people who are:

  • 18 years old or over and
  • in need of care and support (whether or not these are being met) and
  • unable to protect themselves from harm as a result of their needs

If you are concerned about someone under 18 please go to our child abuse page.

If you concerned that you or someone you know is being abused, neglected or at risk of abuse or neglected you should report this.

Abuse is any action which harms another person, including:

  • physical abuse
  • verbal abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • emotional or psychological abuse
  • financial or material abuse
  • neglect
  • discrimination
  • modern slavery
  • self-neglect
  • organisation abuse

Report adult abuse

You can call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or write to:

Howden House

1 Union Street


S1 2SH

If there is no immediate danger you can tell someone you trust. This could be family, friends or professionals. If you don’t want to tell someone you know, you can contact us.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger call 999.

Next steps

If you report abuse to us, the first thing we’ll do is make sure you or the person you are concerned about is safe.

In Sheffield we have a safeguarding partnership which is made up of a range of organisations including ourselves, NHS, police and voluntary sector. These organisations work closely to make sure that all cases of suspected abuse are investigated fully and create a safeguarding plan.

Professionals - report an adult safeguarding concern

If you are a professional and you have a safeguarding concern, you can report it through the Sheffield Adult Safeguarding Partnership website.

Contact the First Contact Team

Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?