Skip to content

Dropped Kerbs (Vehicular Crossings)

Mick Roberts 7/9/09

If you want to drop a kerb to make it easier for vehicles to access your site (e.g. home, business) you need our permission first.  Download the relevant application form below, complete it and send it to us with the correct payment.  The address is on the form.

We charge £70 for domestic applications and £170 for light industrial applications.

If we give permission you should arrange for a qualified highway contractor to drop the kerb. All works are carried out at your own expense. Highway contractors must have Street Works qualifications and 2million pound public liability insurance.

For more information call us on 0114 2736136. If the dropped kerb is for wheelchair access phone 0114 2734479.


Planning Permission

If the location of the proposed dropped kerb is on a classified road, in a conservation area or for a listed building you will first need planning permission.  Please contact Development Management for more information.

To find out if your road is classified, check classified roads, or you can contact our Highway Records Office on telephone 0114 2736125 or email


  • Modified: Apr 22, 2014 10:23:46 AM