Skip to content

Protected trees

Sheffield's trees and woodlands are an important feature of our landscape, making our city one of the greenest in Europe.

Trees are protected in a number of ways:

  • Tree Preservation Orders

  • Conservation Areas

  • Planning Conditions

We mainly cover trees in gardens and on other privately owned land.


Tree Preservation Orders

TPO's can be placed on single trees, groups of trees and even whole woodlands. If you think a Tree Preservation Order may affect you it is highly advisable to check with us directly so you do not undertake any unauthorised work.

If a TPO is in force, it is a legal requirement for you to obtain consent from us before carrying out any work to the trees. Failure to do so is an offence and can result in prosecution.

We can also check to see if any planning conditions affect your property.

Our Planning Records Service can provide you a copy of a TPO for £15.

Make a payment on the telephone at 0114 2039183.

Request a copy by email at


Check if your tree is protected


Apply for consent

Start an application (Planning Portal).

Download the forms to apply by post.

If you have a problem please contact us and we can send you a form. 


The application process

We receive a large number of applications every month to do work to trees. We will usually deal with TPO applications within 8 weeks of validation.

We require 6 weeks notification to do work to trees in a conservation area. It is advisable to allow for these time frames when contacting a tree surgeon.

We will make a site visit during this time to assess the proposals. Our Tree Officer may wish to contact you as part of this to arrange access or check other details.

All of our decisions are made under the Town and Country Planning Act (1990) and National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).

Government Planning Practice Guidance (PPG) on TPO’s and protected trees in conservation areas.

The PPG helps explain more about the application process and what service you can expect from us.


Other work to trees

Roadside trees

Trees on the roadside are the responsibility of our Highways department (working with our client, Amey).

Request works to trees in the highway

This can include trees in a conservation area that do not grow on public land.

Trees in public parks and woodlands

Our Parks and Countryside Service look after trees in parks, woodlands and playing fields.

Council Housing

The 'Community Tree Officer' is responsible for works to trees if you are a Council House tenant.

Request work to trees on your council house.


High hedges

How to tackle neighbour issues with high hedges.

They are not a planning matter. In some cases you may be asked by ourselves to cut back any hedges that are causing a nuisance.

  • Modified: Apr 5, 2016 10:20:24 AM