A key sustainable objective for developments is to “create safe and accessible environments where crime and disorder or fear of crime, do not undermine quality of life or community cohesion.
Safer places and neighbourhoods help to encourage more social interaction and encourage walking as part of our priority to support and protect communities.
- Seek to create a natural indication of public and private spaces through careful consideration of the layout.
- Ensure that there is a good level of natural surveillance provided through the orientation and design of buildings and the layout of rooms.
- Locate entrances so that they front onto public areas.
- Minimise the amount of blank elevations at ground floor.
- Integrate effective and efficient lighting into the design whilst minimising excessive glare and light pollution.
- Provide effective connections to the surrounding areas.