Sheffield's Town Hall was built considerably later than those of the same period in other industrial centres of Northern England. This seems to have been because of more urgent priorities at the time.
The Council appeared to be more concerned with tackling the many social problems caused by the trebling of Sheffield's population between 1843 and 1893, before erecting a prestige monument to the municipality.
It was not until 1886 that we obtained the land on which the Town Hall now stands, and we launched a competition for architects to design a Town Hall for Sheffield.
Of the 178 designs submitted, that of a Mr. E. W. Mountford was judged to be the best. Mr. F. W. Pomeroy was chosen to carry out and supervise the carving.
The building was officially opened on 21st May, 1897 by Queen Victoria.
Only 4 years later, the need for an extension was discussed and Mr. Mountford was instructed to prepare plans for it. Because of lack of sufficient finance and the outbreak of the Great War, it was not until 1923 that an extension materialised.
This was to Mr. F. E. P. Edward's plan (the then City Architect). The cost was £115,600, and the extension was opened by The Prince of Wales on 29th May, 1923, 26 years after Queen Victoria had performed the original opening ceremony.
Wedding, meeting and conference room hire in the Town Hall.
Map not showing? View a larger separate map.