Hillsborough Walled Garden is situated in Hillsborough Park next to Middlewood Road in the Sheffield 6 area.
The walled garden site dates back to 1779 when it was probably used to grow soft fruit for Hillsborough Hall. Food was grown there for many years for the various owners of the hall.
In 1903 the ownership of the hall and parkland passed to us, the garden becoming a nursery and training centre for the council’s gardeners for 80 years.
Like many local authority sites throughout the country, the garden suffered several years of decline during the 1980's due to cutbacks in park maintenance budgets.
The garden's fortunes improved during the early 1990's when Hillsborough Community Development Trust redeveloped it as a tribute to the people who died in the Hillsborough Disaster.
Liverpool F.C. donated a replica of Anfield's Shankly Gates as an entrance to the garden. The trust continued to manage the garden to a high standard until December 2005, when it once again became under our management.
The garden provides a green oasis in an urban environment, containing borders in a range of styles, a greenhouse, a wildlife area, 2 ponds, a willow play den, an example of an 18th century heated wall and the Stable Block.
This building was actually used by the gardeners rather than for stabling horses - a function it retains to this day.
The garden is available for use by the general public. It supports volunteer work placements and school visits, and also hosts a range of events and activities.