Skip to content

Help and support for private tenants

If a house or flat is rented from a private landlord we can offer you help and advice about problems with disrepair.

We offer assistance on a needs basis, dependent upon the seriousness of the disrepair and how the problem has been reported to the landlord and the landlord's response.

Unless the property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) we cannot get repairs done to washing machines, dishwashers vacuum cleaners etc.

However, repairing or maintaining appliances such as these, may be your landlord’s responsibility under the tenancy contract. You can get more advice about your Tenancy Relations rights.


Landlords obligations

We may provide information so that tenants are informed of the landlord's repairing obligations and can contact their landlord about the repairs.

Alternatively, we may try and get repairs carried out by dealing with the landlord informally, either by letter or telephone without us needing to visit, so that the landlord deals with the matters the tenant is concerned about.



If we visit and carry out an inspection we may be obliged by law to inspect the entire house to ensure it is free from serious hazards and this may require more works than the tenant wants.

Where necessary, after a visit, we may still deal with matters informally at the beginning but if the matters we are concerned about are not resolved we may need to serve legal notices requiring the work to be done. We may also need to inspect the property with the landlord present.

The levels of our intervention and subsequent actions are detailed in the Private Sector Housing Policy.

This policy commits all officers to good enforcement practices and procedures. It also sets out the decision making process that officers will follow regarding intervention, from an initial request or receipt of information to the conclusion of a matter.

This ensures that intervention and enforcement activity (formal and informal) is Fair minded; Proportionate; Consistent; Helpful and Fair.


Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

These are typically bedsits, shared houses and some self-contained flats. In addition to standards of repair there are legal requirements regarding the standards of management.

Most HMOs occupied by 5 or more persons on 3 or more storeys require a licence.

Find out more about House in Multiple Occupation.


Report problems

If you want to discuss any matter please contact us.

  • Modified: Jan 27, 2015 8:17:17 AM