Skip to content

Housing standards for landlords and tenants

Encouraging high standards

Our aim is to encourage high standards of accommodation, repair and good management in the private rented sector.  Where properties fall below minimum standards and are not safe, we will enforce the legal standards which apply.

The Private Sector Housing Policy determines the range of services that we provide to homeowners, landlords and tenants living in private sector housing in Sheffield.

Although many landlords already have a well-managed portfolio, others may need help and advice to enable them to run their businesses effectively and correctly to ensure they meet all the necessary legal obligations:

  • The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS);
  • Intervention and Enforcement Policy;
  • Energy Performance Certificates.

We have produced an annual report of our activities from April 2011 until 2012 called 'Making a Difference' and a booklet giving a short guide to what we do.  Both are available to download below.


New schemes

As part of our commitment to encourage high standards we are currently undertaking 3 new ventures.

Selective Licensing

We have approved a scheme of Selective Licensing for part of the Page Hall area to deal with the worst area of low housing demand and poor property condition of the houses in this area. Landlords are required to apply for licences for their tenanted properties if they fall within the purple area of the map.

Above: The Page Hall Selective Licensing Area map.

Voluntary Registration

We have approved a scheme of Voluntary registration for part of the Page Hall, Fir Vale and surrounding areas.  As part of the consultation on Selective Licensing we have responded to landlords requests for a voluntary scheme for the area of the following map coloured blue. Landlords should note that if uptake of this voluntary scheme is poor then Selective Licensing is likely to follow.

Above: The Page Hall Voluntary Registration Area map

Snug: promoting best quality student housing

We have developed a scheme with Sheffield Hallam University and Hallam Union. Be part of the scheme, comply with minimum property standards and a management code for Snug.

Deposits or rent in advance

Private landlords and agents often want a deposit or rent in advance before they will agree to let their property to you.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

Download guides on risks (like damp and mould) in houses which are assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Intervention and enforcement policy and reports

About our enforcement work: the policy and report.

Energy Perfomance Certificates

Landlords in the social and private rented sectors to give prospective tenants an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when they view a property.

Electrical safety

The Electrical Safety Council's Landlords' Guide to Electrical Safety includes all the legislation you need to be aware of, as well as some simple things you can do to make sure your properties are safe.

Contact Us

If you have any queries, please contact us.

  • Modified: Feb 4, 2014 12:48:58 PM