Skip to content

Contact us about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If your query is about a benefit award or a payment you are due, check benefit services online.


Landlords and agents

Information for landlords and agents.

If you are receiving benefit for your tenant, check benefit services online.

This will give you details relating to your individual  tenants' benefit claims including awards, rent and payment details.

You will need to contact your tenant in the first instance in relation to their claim for benefit.

If you still need to contact us you must include your tenants' full name and address.


Changes to your details or circumstances

Tell us about changes to your details or circumstances.  We cannot accept emails about this.


Proof of claims

If we have written to you requesting further proof in support of your claim, please note that we cannot accept this via email.  We must see original documents so you should bring them to a Customer Service Point where they will be photocopied free of charge and returned to you.

You can submit proofs at the following Housing Offices and Local First Points:

  • First Point at Burngreave
  • First Point at Chapeltown
  • First Point at Crystal Peaks
  • Darnall Housing Office
  • Enquiry Point at Firth Park
  • First Point at Hillsborough
  • Jordanthorpe Housing Office
  • Lowedges Housing Office
  • First Point at Manor Library
  • Newfield Green Housing Office
  • Stocksbridge Housing Office
  • Wordsworth Avenue Housing Office



If you would like to make a complaint, please read our 'Complaints Factsheet':


Telephone us

You can telephone the Benefits Call Centre on 0114 2736777.

Call us between 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.


Email us

Due to data security issues, there is a limited amount of information that we can supply via email.  You can email us about the following:

Status of a claim for benefit or a change

If you require an update on the status of a claim for benefit/support or a change that you have told us about please email

You will then receive an email detailing where we currently are with our workload and how long you can expect to wait for a decision to be made.

Benefit award

If you have a query about a benefit award, including information relating to payments, overpayments and circumstances used in the calculations of awards email

All other issues

For any other issues email us at  All correspondence must contain the following information:

  • Your full name

  • Your full address including postcode

  • Your benefit reference number

  • Clear description of what you are contacting us about

  • Your contact telephone number


Write to us

Benefits Service,
PO Box 1310,
S1 1UY.

Fax us on 0114 2736356.


Visit us

We offer an appointment only service at First Point, Howden House if you need to speak to someone in person about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. 

Make an appointment, call 0114 2736777 between 8:30am to 5:30pm.


First Point
Howden House
Union Street
S1 2SH

Location on our map of the city centre.


Independent advice

You can find independent advice about benefits and many other issues at Advice Sheffield.


Council Tax

Council Tax, including how to contact our Council Tax team.


Sheffield Revenues and Benefits Service Charter

The Charter sets out the standards of service and behaviour that our customers can expect from our Revenues and Benefits Service.

Download of the charter

We also have a Customer Charter for all services provided by our staff.

  • Modified: Feb 8, 2016 11:38:17 AM