Skip to content

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support replaced Council Tax Benefit and helps people pay Council Tax for the home they live in.

Residents below pension age who claim support with their Council Tax have to pay at least 23% of their Council Tax.


People entitled to pay less Council Tax

Disabled people

If you, or someone who lives in your household, have a disability and your home has been adapted to meet the needs of the disabled person, you may qualify for a reduction called Disabled Person's Relief.

People living on their own

If you live on your own, you may qualify for a single-person discount which would reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.

Other discounts and exemptions.


Council Tax Support eligibility

To be entitled to claim Council Tax Support you need to have a liability to pay Council Tax.

You can make a claim if any of the following apply:

  • You own your home (either outright or you have a mortgage)

  • You are the person whose name is on the Council Tax bill

  • If you are jointly responsible for Council Tax we can help pay your share of the bill


Not entitled to Council Tax Support

You will not be entitled if any of the following apply:

  • You are not responsible for paying the Council Tax bill

  • Either you or your partner, or both of you together, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit)

  • You are an asylum seeker, unless you've been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom

  • You have been admitted to the United Kingdom on the condition that you have no recourse to public funds. This means that you must not claim benefits

  • You are a sponsored immigrant and have lived here for less than 5 years

  • You are in the United Kingdom illegally or your permission to stay has run out

Download our 'Persons from Abroad Factsheet' if you are considering making a claim for Council Tax Support, but are newly arrived in or recently returned to the United Kingdom.


Make a claim

Make a claim for Council Tax Support.


Equity Release may effect your Council Tax Support

Equity Release is a way that older homeowners can use their homes to generate income and capital, whilst continuing to live there.

If you receive Council Tax Support and opt for Equity Release, it could mean that you are no longer entitled to Council Tax Support, or your entitlement is reduced.

Contact us if you decide to release the equity in your home.

Seek expert advice before opting for Equity Release, for instance Age UK guidance about equity release and income-related benefits.


Other ways to reduce your bill

Second Adult Rebate

If you are the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, you may be able to get a Second Adult Rebate even if you do not normally qualify for Council Tax Support.

You can claim if there is someone living with you who stops you getting single person discount, but is not able to help you pay your Council Tax.

The person you share your home with must not be your partner. They must be:

  • Aged 18 years or over

  • Not paying you rent

  • Not paying Council Tax themselves

  • On a low income

Usually, you cannot claim Second Adult Rebate if you are jointly responsible for paying Council Tax with someone else.

If, however, you are jointly responsible with someone who is not counted for Council Tax purposes, you may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate.

If you already get Council Tax Support, you will not need to claim Second Adult Rebate.

If you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, you will get the one that gives you the most money. The most Second Adult Rebate that we can pay is 25% of your Council Tax bill.

The person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax bill and not the second adult must make the claim for Second Adult Rebate.

We need to know the claimant's National Insurance number and see proof of their identity, we will only need proof of the second adult's income and capital.

Your income and savings will not affect your entitlement to Second Adult Rebate, because it is based on the other person's circumstances.

Make a claim for Second Adult Rebate.

Citizen's Advice about Second Adult Rebate.


Hardship scheme

Our hardship scheme helps people who receive Council Tax Support and who are in severe financial hardship.


About Council Tax reduction schemes

Government information about Council Tax reduction schemes.

  • Modified: Mar 8, 2016 11:06:15 AM