Skip to content

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a local Council Tax reduction scheme which helps people pay Council Tax for the home they live in.


To be entitled to claim Council Tax Support you need to have a liability to pay Council Tax.

You can make a claim if any of the following apply:

  • You own your home (either outright or you have a mortgage).
  • You are the person whose name is on the Council Tax bill.
  • If you are jointly responsible for Council Tax we can help pay your share of the bill.

Who is Not Entitled to Claim

You will not be entitled if any of the following apply:

  • You are not responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.
  • Either you or your partner, or both of you together, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit).
  • You are an asylum seeker, unless you've been given refugee status or indefinate or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom.
  • You have been admitted to the United Kingdom on the condition that you have no recourse to public funds. This means that you must not claim benefits.
  • You are a sponsored immigrant and have lived here for less than five years.
  • You are in the United Kingdom illegally or your permission to stay has run out.

Download our 'Persons from Abroad Factsheet' if you are considering making a claim for Council Tax Support, but are newly arrived in or recently returned to the United Kingdom.


Make a claim

How to make a claim for Council Tax Support.

Equity Release

Equity Release is a way that older homeowners can use their homes to generate income and capital, whilst continuing to live there.

If you are receiving Council Tax Support and opt for Equity Release, it could mean that you are no longer entitled to Council Tax Support, or your entitlement is reduced. It is therefore very important that you notify us if you decide to release the equity in your home.

There are many different Equity Release schemes available and anyone considering it is strongly recommended to seek expert advice before doing so. Age Concern has produced information about Equity Release and Income-Related Benefits.

Other ways to reduce your bill

If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, share your home with other adults who are on a low income, and you do not have a partner, you may be able to claim a Second Adult Rebate.

If you or someone who lives with you has a disability, and your home has been adapted to meet the needs of the disabled person, you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax. This is known as Disabled Person's Relief.


Second Adult Rebate

If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, you may be able to get a Second Adult Rebate even if you do not normally qualify for Council Tax Support.

You can claim if you have someone living with you who stops you getting Single Person discount, but is not able to help you pay your Council Tax.

The person you share your home with must not be your partner. They must be:

  • Aged 18 years or over.

  • Not paying you rent.

  • Not paying Council Tax themselves.

  • On a low income.

Usually, you cannot claim Second Adult Rebate if you are jointly responsible for paying Council Tax with someone else. If, however, you are jointly responsible with someone who is not counted for Council Tax purposes, you may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate. You will find more information about people who are not counted for Council Tax purposes.

If you already get Council Tax Support, you will not need to claim Second Adult Rebate. If you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, you will get the one that gives you the most money. The most Second Adult Rebate that we can pay is 25% of your Council Tax bill.

The person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax bill and not the second adult must make the claim for Second Adult Rebate. Although we will need to know the claimant's National Insurance number and see proof of their identity, we will only need proof of the secon adult's income and capital.

Your income and savings will not affect your entitlement to Second Adult Rebate, because it is based on the other person's circumstances.

To claim Second Adult Rebate you will need to make an online claim.

  • Modified: Nov 8, 2013 3:38:58 PM