Skip to content

Claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit helps you pay the rent for the home you live in.

Council Tax Support is a local Council Tax reduction scheme, to helps you pay Council Tax for the home you live in.

It's quickest and easiest to make a claim online.  You'll only have to answer the questions that are relevant to you and we'll let you know exactly what evidence you need to give us to verify your claim - saving you time, effort and money.

Check if you are entitled to claim (benefits calculator).

Already claiming benefits, tell us about your change of address or circumstances.

Not claiming benefits: make a new claim.


Changes to benefits

Details of recent and upcoming changes to benefits.


New or repeat claims

If you make a new or repeat claim for Income Support (IS), Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Incapacity Benefit (IB), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit (PC) you will make your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support at the same time.

Once Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service has dealt with your claim for IS, JSA, IB, ESA or PC, they will send us your details.

Before your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support can be processed, we may need to write out to you for more information, such as proof of your rent.


First payment

You should claim as soon as possible. We can usually pay benefit from the Monday after the day we receive your form.

If you are not able to submit your claim on time because of your circumstances, you can ask us to consider backdating your claim to a date earlier than the date we received it.


Urgent claims

If you have made a claim for Housing Benefit, but it is has not yet been processed and you require payment urgently because you are facing eviction, you must contact us as soon as possible.

You will need to send in or bring in a copy of any correspondence you have received concerning the eviction proceedings.

Providing we have all the evidence and proofs we need to process your claim, we will arrange to pay your Housing Benefit as soon as we can.


Evidence and proof

Supplying us with the information we require at the earliest opportunity will ensure that we can deal with your claim in the quickest possible time.

You can submit any proofs or evidence we require at First Point, or at any Area Housing Office.

If you supply the proofs in person will we photocopy them and give you the originals back. We will also give you a receipt. You should ask to see the photocopies and make sure that you are satisfied that the copies are clear and legible.

If we require further evidence or proofs, we will write to you as soon as possible after we receive your claim.

Pensioners in receipt of Pension Credits

If you are a pensioner who is already in receipt of Pension Credit (Savings Credit or Guaranteed Credit) you need only provide evidence of your entitlement.

We do not need to see proof of any other income or capital you have.

We may, however, need to ask you for more information if you live in rented accommodation (except Sheffield Homes properties) or have adult non-dependants or children living with you.

Only original documents can be accepted as proof, we cannot accept photocopies.

Download our Evidence and Proofs Factsheet for details of what you need to send us:


Landlords and tenants rights

Landlords and tenants.



Help if you don't speak English

Come to First Point, Howden House.  Book an appointment first so we can use the Language Line. Telephone 0114 2736777, Monday to Friday between 8:30am to 5:30pm.

Benefit changes translated


About benefits

The DWP is responsible for following welfare benefits:

  • Income Support

  • Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Employment and Support Allowance

  • Disability Living Allowance

Information about these benefits.

  • Modified: Sep 30, 2016 1:40:59 PM