Skip to content

Benefits: Change of address or in your circumstances

You must tell us if you move home or if your circumstances change, it's quickest and easiest online.

Tell us your change in circumstance or address.

We will tell you if you need to send us any supporting evidence.

Circumstances you need to tell us about

Here are some examples of changes you need to tell us about:

  • A change to where you live
  • A change to who lives with you
  • If you start work
  • A change in your wages, private pension or any other income you receive
  • A change to the amount of rent you pay
  • If you start or stop receiving Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • If you start or stop receiving any other benefit
  • If your capital, such as savings and investments changes
  • Temporary absence from home - please see our factsheet for more information
  • If your partner, your dependants or your non-dependants has a change in their circumstances as it may affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

These are only examples, so if you have any other changes to your circumstances that you think will affect your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support - tell us anyway and we can check it for you.

 Change of address

If you tell us before the date you move in, you must contact us immediately once you actually start living at the property.  This is because we need to confirm the date you moved in.

Please report this to us using our online change in circumstances form.

You must also provide your tenancy agreement, unless you are living in a council house or are claiming only Council Tax Support.


If you have had a recent bereavement please see our 'Bereavement factsheet' (below) for more information.


Tell us as soon as possible

You may lose out

You must tell us about a change of circumstances within one calendar month of the change taking place.  If we don't know about the change then you could be losing out as it may change the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you receive.

You pay have to pay back

A change in circumstance may result in you receiving less Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.  So if you don't tell us about a change in circumstances you may have to pay back the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support which you were no longer entitled to receive.

  • Modified: Mar 2, 2015 1:57:04 PM