A Pause for Reflection
Following concerns raised at the Equality Hub Network Board, we have agreed to undertake a review of the Equality Hub Network (EHN) in order to clarify the role and purpose of the network, the expectations we have of volunteers, and whether our existing structures are fit for purpose in delivering this.
I have therefore proposed a temporary pause of the business of the EHN pending a detailed review, which was agreed by the Board Members. This means no formal Hub meetings will take place during this period, however, hub members are of course free to meet informally as they wish.
The review will start by the end of January 2020 and will last no more than 6 months. It will have the active involvement of Support Organisations and Board and Hub Members. We will look at how other authorities engage with diverse communities and consider best practice, including all the good work and positive learning from the EHN.
Councillor Terry Fox
Acting Chair, Equality Hub Network
The Equality Hub Network is an independent advisory group established by Sheffield City Council to create a space in which to enable our diverse communities to have greater voice and influence over decisions in the City.
There are 7 individual hubs representing the following communities:
- Age Hub (intergenerational)
- BAMER Hub (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic, Refugee)
- Carers' Hub
- Disability Hub (all impairments)
- LGBT+ Hub (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, other sexual orientations and gender identities)
- Religion/Belief/No Belief Hub (includes no religious belief)
- Women's Hub
Each hub sends elected representatives to the Equality Hub Board meeting which meets quarterly to discuss broader issues affecting the network as a whole.
Grants supporting the Equality Hubs
The Equality and Fairness Grants 2017-20 Fund is specifically for coordinating each of the Equality Hubs (excluding the Carers’ Hub, which is included in the Carers' Contract). The fund ensures effectiveness and enables joint working.
The grants recipients, amounts awarded and their corresponding Equality Hubs are:
- Age Hub: Age UK (£11,250) and Sheffield Futures (£3,725)
- BAMER Hub: FaithStar Foundation (£15,000)
- Disability Hub: Disability Sheffield (£15,000)
- LGBT+ Hub: LGBT Sheffield (£10,000)
- Belief and/or Religion Hub: Sheffield Faiths Together (£10,000)
- Women’s Hub: Together Women (£10,000)