Last updated Wednesday 22 July at 3:23pm

Covid-19 community helpline 

You can contact us for support for help with tasks such as shopping, medication and social contact on 0114 273 4567

We will also ring people on the government high risk and vulnerable list. We will never ask for credit card details. 


Help with collecting shopping, medication or social contact

We can help with: 

  • collecting shopping 
  • collecting medication
  • support for anyone who is feeling isolated or needs extra help 

You can request our help if you:

  • have no-one else who can offer support


  • are self isolating because you or your household is more vulnerable to the effects of the virus
  • are self isolating because you have the virus

Request by calling 0114 273 4567 or applying online.


Emergency food parcels

Supermarket food box service

Many supermarkets offer a food box service containing essential supplies. Please check their websites for details.

Emergency food banks

  • find where food banks are located in Sheffield - some of these may be temporarily closed due to Coronavirus
  • there may be more information about the support available in your area from community hubs
  • you can get help with food from Foodworks, a local social enterprise


Adult Social Care

  • We're working to make sure we can continue to meet people’s urgent needs for care and support
  • We’re contacting everyone we support to discuss any changes to their support plans

If you or someone you know doesn’t already receive adult social care:

  • for formal care and support - contact our First Contact Team on 0114 273 4908
  • to find informal support in your area, contact Voluntary Action Sheffield

Emergency childcare for critical workers or vulnerable children

Schools are not required to open over the summer break and will not be able to make any childcare provision.

If you need a childcare provider over the summer holidays please use our childcare directory to find details of providers that are open over the summer holidays during the pandemic. Contact the childcare provider directly for information on session availability, prices etc.

If you are unable to find holiday childcare after contacting the providers listed in the directory, please complete the form for emergency childcare. We will respond with 48 hours.

Accessing free early learning in Autumn

Sign up now with your chosen provider to secure your child’s place in time for September.

Support with homelessness

  • Devonshire Green Medical Centre drop-in is closed.  They now operate a triage by phone
  • we're setting up a staffed safe space night centre
  • we're sourcing additional self contained units 

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness

  • contact Housing Solutions 0114 273 6306 or 0800 7311 689 (after 5pm)
  • or request a call back

Help with money

Help with Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your council tax:

  • you can discuss your account with us
  • you may be eligible to apply for council tax support
  • if eligible, you may also be eligible for the Council Tax Hardship Scheme

Find out about Council Tax Support or hardship scheme

Help with Council Housing rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us on 0114 293 0000.

We will be able to help you make a realistic repayment agreement.


Local Assistance Scheme

This scheme is only available to Sheffield residents who:

  • have insufficient income to meet their needs
  • are aged 16 years old or over

In order to consider your application, we may ask you to provide proof of:

  • any benefits received 
  • and/or bank statements for the last 3 months 

Full details are available at


Help with Universal credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income or out of work.

Find out more about Universal Credit

If you already claim UC

  • HMRC should inform DWP of the change in your income, or
  • you can update your UC online journal yourself

Update Universal Credit journal

Help with drugs, alcohol and domestic abuse

Sheffield DACT can offer support if you are struggling with drug and alcohol problems or if you are experiencing domestic abuse:

Bereavement support

If you have lost a friend or relative you can call our dedicated helpline on 0800 0485224 or find more support on the Listening Ear website.

You can also find out more about support from the National Bereavement Partnership.

Contact the Community Helpline

Ask us a question

0114 273 4567 7 days a week, 8:45am to 4:45pm