Last updated Tuesday 31st March 15:25


Adult Social Care

  • We are working to make sure we can continue to meet people’s urgent needs for care and support
  • We’re contacting everyone we support to discuss any changes to their support plans

If you or someone you know doesn’t already receive adult social care:

  • for formal care and support - contact our First Contact Team on 0114 273 4908
  • to find informal support in your area, contact Voluntary Action Sheffield


Childcare for Critical Workers or vulnerable children

You can request emergency childcare if:

  • you are a critical worker, or have a vulnerable child (a child with a social worker or an Education Health and Care Plan),
  • and, your child's school setting has closed

We will respond within 48 hours.

Food banks

Find where food banks are located in Sheffield.


  • Devonshire Green Medical Centre drop-in is closed.  They now operate a triage by phone
  • we are setting up a staffed safe space night centre
  • we are sourcing additional self contained units 

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness

  • contact Housing Solutions 0114 273 6306 or 0800 7311 689 (after 5pm)
  • or request a call back

Help with money

Help with Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your council tax:

  • you can discuss your account with us
  • you may be eligible to apply for council tax support
  • if eligible, you may also be eligible for the Council Tax Hardship Scheme

Find out about Council Tax Support or hardship scheme

Help with Council Housing rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us on 0114 293 0000.

We will be able to help you make a realistic repayment agreement.


Local Assistance Scheme

This scheme is only available to Sheffield residents who:

  • have insufficient income to meet their needs
  • are aged 16 years old or over

In order to consider your application, we may ask you to provide proof of:

  • any benefits received 
  • and/or bank statements for the last 3 months 

Full details are available at


Help with Universal credit

Universal Credit (UC) provides help towards:

  • living costs
  • rent costs

If you are not claiming UC

You should make a claim if you are:

  • in employment, and
  • have had a reduction in your earnings and are struggling financially

Apply for Universal Credit

If you already claim UC

  • HMRC should inform DWP of the change in your income, or
  • you can update your UC online journal yourself

Update Universal Credit journal

Drugs, alcohol and domestic abuse

Sheffield DACT can offer support if you are struggling with drug and alcohol problems or if you are experiencing domestic abuse:

Become a volunteer with Voluntary Action Sheffield (VAS)

Voluntary Action Sheffield are calling out for volunteers to work across community hubs.

Contact Customer Services