Last updated Tuesday 12 January 2021 at 2:50pm

Get support from us or our partner services, or offer your help as a volunteer

Community Helpline

  • we can help you if you have no one else to support you or if you are self-isolating
  • we can do shopping, medication collection, social contact or urgent support
  • we're contacting people on the government high risk and vulnerable list 
  • we will never ask for credit card details

Call us on 0114 273 4567 or


Test and Trace support payment

If you work and receive benefits and you will lose income because you are self-isolating, you can apply for a payment of £500.

The payment is available if you:

  • live in Sheffield and have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
  • have an 8 character NHS Test and Trace ID
  • have started self-isolation on or after 28 September 2020
  • have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive

You can make a claim up to 14 days after your period of self-isolation ended (if it began on or after 28 September 2020).

You need to be:

  • employed or self-employed and unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • and you receive one of these benefits:
    • Universal Credit 
    • Working Tax Credit 
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance 
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
    • Income Support 
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
  • the support payment is taxable if you are a taxpayer but it is not subject to National Insurance Contributions. HMRC will automatically collect tax from your pay through your tax code. Self-employed recipients should report the payment on their 2020/21 Self-Assessment Tax Return

Make sure you have your 8 character NHS Test and Trace ID before you apply. 

You can only apply if you receive one of the benefits listed above.

If you need help to apply for the Test and Trace support payment call us on 0114 273 4567 and we will go through it with you.


Covid-19 Hardship Related Assistance provided under the Local Assistance Scheme (LAS)

Covid-19 Hardship Related Assistance provided under the Local Assistance Scheme (LAS) is to support Sheffield residents who are having difficulties paying for food and other essentials due to Covid-19.

The grant can pay for:

  • food and housekeeping (groceries, toiletries, baby essentials etc)
  • essential travel costs (job hunting, starting a new job, medical appointments etc)
  • telephone and broadband (mobile phones, top-ups, broadband charge etc)
  • gas and electricity
  • clothing, including school uniforms
  • essential furniture / white goods
  • rent in advance if you are under immediate threat of eviction due to Covid-19 and your landlord agrees to stop the eviction if we pay some or all of your arrears
  • mortgage arrears that you can prove are because of Covid-19

It cannot be used for:

  • paying loans
  • statutory activities/requirements that either the Council or another public-sector organisation is responsible for delivering

Who can apply

  • you need to live in Sheffield
  • you are struggling to afford food and other essentials due to Covid-19 eg if you had your hours reduced at work
  • or you are indirectly affected eg someone who you rely on is not able to provide you with essential support
  • one grant will be issued per household except in very exceptional circumstances

If you need help to apply for the COVID-19 Hardship Related Assistance call us on 0114 273 4567 and we will go through it with you.


Adult Social Care

If you or someone you know doesn’t already receive social care:

  • for formal care and support contact our First Contact Team on 0114 273 4908
  • to find informal support in your area, contact Voluntary Action Sheffield

Bereavement support

Listening Ear provide a dedicated helpline. Call 0800 048 5224


Collecting shopping, medication or social contact

If you have no-one else who can offer support and:

  • you are self isolating because you or your household is more vulnerable to the effects of the virus
  • or are self isolating because you have the virus

Call 0114 273 4567 or request help online.

Domestic abuse, drugs and alcohol support

Sheffield DACT can offer helpline support if you are struggling with:


Food banks

  • get help with food from Foodworks, a local social enterprise
  • get help from local community hubs
  • find where food banks are in Sheffield and check they are open before visiting

Homeless or at risk of homelessness


Advice and support with money

Council Tax

Council house rent

  • if you are struggling to pay your rent we can help you make a realistic repayment agreement call 0114 293 0000

Local Assistance scheme

Universal credit

How you can help

  • we accept offers of help from businesses and organisations
  • you can register with Voluntary Action Sheffield
  • you can register with NHS volunteer responders

Contact the Community Helpline

Ask us a question

0114 273 4567 7 days a week 8:45am to 4:45pm