There may be delays due to the current volume of applications.

You can apply for a payment of £500 if you are employed or self-employed and will lose income because:

  • you have been told to isolate by NHS Test and Trace
  • you have been asked to isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app
  • or you are the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate as a contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 

You can make a claim up to 42 days from the first day of isolation. 

Get a Test and Trace Account ID

You need a Test and Trace Account ID to apply. If you have been contacted by NHS Test and Trace they will give you an ID.

If you have been told to isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app, there will be a link on the app that you can use to request an NHS Test and Trace Account ID. You need to request this while you’re self-isolating, you can't do it afterwards.

If you work and receive benefits

If you or the partner you live with gets one of the following benefits then you can apply:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

If you are worried receiving the support payment will affect your benefit entitlements contact Citizens Advice Sheffield.

If you’re the parent or guardian of a child who needs to self-isolate

You might be able to get the payment if you need to take time off to look after them. They must:

  • be 15 or under, or 25 or under if they have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
  • live with you
  • normally be at school or in childcare
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or their school or childcare provider

You’ll need to meet the other eligibility criteria. You’ll need evidence that your child has been told to self-isolate.

If you don’t receive benefits

If you are not able to work from home you can still apply if you will lose income and:

  • you have been asked to isolate on or after 10 February 2021
  • the child you are parent or guardian to has been asked to isolate on or after 8 March 2021

You can also apply if:

  • you are in the process of applying for benefits

We will ask for evidence of your income and evidence of your benefit application if you have made one.

Who cannot apply

You can’t receive the grant if:

  • you are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14 day quarantine period)
  • you receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • you can work from home
  • you are on furlough
  • you have £6,000 or more in savings

Tax and National Insurance

If you’re employed, you’ll pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment.

If you’re self-employed you must report the payment on your Self Assessment tax return.

How to apply

Apply online or if you need help to complete the application call us on 0114 273 4567. We aim to process your application in 3 days.

If your application is successful, we will transfer the support payment to your bank account using the details you provide. It usually takes around 1 day to appear on your statement.

If you have been pinged by the NHS COVID-19 app, make sure you have requested a Test and Trace Account ID before applying.