This support is provided by Families Adopters and Carers Team (FACT):
- entitlements for every adopter
- help and advice – either over the phone or in person. An assessment of support needs
- a dedicated and secure area. For information on accessing this forum, please contact us
- invitations to events, including the Summer Fun Day and the Christmas Party
- support groups (according to the age of your child) for you to come along to. These sessions give you and your child the opportunity to meet up informally and to chat whilst the children play. We are on hand for support and advice
- Closer in Play – a half day introductory training session on ‘Theraplay’ techniques to promote attachment
- Multi Agency Psychological Services' advice line (MAPS)
- membership of Adoption UK for one year post Adoption Order
- every school-aged child is eligible for priority in applying for a school place and the Pupil Premium
Theraplay group or individual work
Aims to promote the attachment between you and your children. There are two 10 week groups every year.
We recognise that at different points in their childhood, your children may want more information and support around understanding their birth family history.
Crisis intervention and other services
Including Families Together, Multi Agency Support Team, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Chrysalis.
Assessment of financial support needs
Including the payment of an adoption allowance.
Young people's group
We plan to run a group for 11 to 15 year old children - “The Inbetweeners Group”. It will be organised in conjunction with Chrysalis.
Working with you, your children and their family of origin
We also provide:
- Letterbox Service which is a confidential service to facilitate the exchange of letters between adopters and birth families. Please read the leaflet for further details.
- help and advice about contact between your children and their birth families
- Birth Background Checks – we provide initial information to adopted adults living in Sheffield who wish to have information about their families of origin
- the Council which places your child is responsible for meeting your support needs during the first 3 years' post Adoption Order
- after this time we are responsible if you live within the city. All adopters are welcome to access the support groups at any time