Adoption is a way of providing a new family for children who cannot be brought up by their birth families. It is a legal process in which parental responsibility is transferred to the adoptive parents.
Our Adoption Service is part of the Yorkshire Consortium, an organisation that includes 17 local authorities and voluntary agencies, meaning that we can match you with a child or children from across the region.
Adopters must be over 21 and live permanently in the UK.
Before you decide to apply please consider:
- health and lifestyle - the physical and mental health of prospective applicants is an important consideration. We will take guidance from your own GP and our agency medical adviser
- time and energy - you and your family will need time to adjust to this big life event. Adoption needs the support of the whole family if it is to be successful
- physical space - it is importance you have the space to parent a child. You will need to consider bedroom space, room for play and privacy
- smoking - we would not place a child under the age of 5 years in a household where anyone smokes
Partner & relative adoption
If you wish to adopt a child, or children, know to you (eg if you're a step-parent) please contact us if you live within Sheffield. Once we have received your notification we will advise and arrange a social worker to visit you.
Adoption information evenings
If you are interested in adoption, the first step is to attend an information evening.
The evening will include a short presentation about the adoption process, followed by general discussions with adopters and staff. If you are planning to adopt with a partner, both of you should attend.
- Thursday, 1 February 2018
- Thursday, 1 March 2018
- Wednesday, 4 April 2018
- Thursday, 3 May 2018
- Wednesday, 6 June 2018
- Wednesday, 4 July 2018
- Thursday, 6 September 2018
- Wednesday, 3 October 2018
- Tuesday, 6 November 2018
- Thursday, 6 December 2018
These meetings will take place between 6pm to 8pm at Quaker Meeting House, 10 Saint James' Street, Sheffield, S1 2EW in the city centre (refreshments available from 5.45pm).
It would be helpful to have an idea of numbers before each evening, so if you are able, please contact us before arriving.