In Sheffield, many of the children who need adopting:
- require additional help and support as they grow up
- vary in age
- may have a physical and/or learning disability
- may be a sibling group of a variety of ages who need to stay together
- may be children who come from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds
What doesn't stop you applying to adopt
- single or unmarried: many single people, whatever their gender, and unmarried couples have successfully adopted children
- low income or receiving benefits: this will not automatically rule you out from being assessed as an adopter, though your financial situation will always be considered
- criminal record: thorough checks have to be made on an application in order to secure a child's safety and this includes police checks through Disclosure & Barring Services (DBS). Serious convictions would usually mean an applicant would not obtain approval, however, minor convictions may not be a bar if all other aspects of the application are positive
- disability: being disabled won't automatically exclude anyone from becoming an adopter. What is important is that you can show that you can give a child what she or he needs
- being gay: applications are welcome whether you are gay, lesbian or heterosexual
- too old: there is no upper age limit but we will expect you to have the health and vitality to see your children through to an age of independence. Consideration will be given to your age comparative to the age of the child you want to adopt
- younger children are more likely to be placed with younger parents
Other reasons why we may not consider your application
We will not consider your application if you are undergoing fertility treatment.
Experience suggests that following fertility treatment that is unsuccessful, people need at least 6 months to come to terms with their situation, before they are ready to apply for adoption.
In all cases of loss and bereavement of a close family member (for example a parent, partner or children) or if you have lost a baby during pregnancy, regardless of how long ago, we will need to consider if the time is right for you to proceed.
Adopt a child from outside the UK
We have an agreement with Yorkshire Adoption Agency Ltd for them to assess those seeking to adopt from overseas.