'Every Sheffield Child is Articulate and Literate' is the award winning, city-wide literacy strategy that acts as an umbrella for a range of services, projects, initiatives and strategies being delivered to parents and young children across the city.
Through a partnership approach, we work on both a local or national level with a number of partners.
For aims and objectives, please refer to our ESCAL Policy and Strategy and Strategic overview.
ESCAL: Schools & early years education
School visits & training
Our training is provided by a wide range of practitioners, partners and key schools who develop and share practice.
- training offered centrally or in schools
- opportunities to see targeted practice in a range of schools
Our downloadable booklet gives more information or please contact us.
Speaking & listening
- Sheffield's Primary Talk Training - supporting Wave 1 practice
- Baseline Speech and Language Screen for Foundation Stage
Phonics, shared and guided reading supported through:
- reciprocal reading which supports children who can read but don't understand
- inference training for Key Stage 1, 2 and 3 which supports students experiencing comprehension difficulties
- talk for writing
- inspiring children to write at Key Stages 1 and 2
- Grammar Without Tears - practical ideas to support children's learning
We work in partnership with a number of organisations and services who share our vision.
Family Learning has increased the communication, language and literacy skills of parents, 'Literacy Bags' are loaned to foster carers to support activities for Early Years Looked After Children. The School Library Service's Bookstart prgramme provided free book packs and the National Literacy Trust's, Parents as Storytellers project worked with schools to engage parents in storytelling.
Local partners' list
- Adoption Service
- City Wide Learning Body
- Development Education Centre South Yorkshire (DECSY)
- Education Works
- Family Learning
- Fostering Service
- Home Start
- Multi Agency Support Team (MAST)
- Museums Sheffield
- Parents Assembly
- School Library Service
- School Tracking and Assessment Tools (STAT)
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust
- Sheffield Institute of Education
- Sheffield Learning Community
- Sheffield Music Hub
- Sheffield Theatres
- Speech and Language - Sheffield NHS
- The University of Sheffield
There are a number of national partners
We are always looking for opportunties to further embed ESCAL into services. If you would like to be involved, please contact us.