Our winter service runs from 1 October to 30 April. During this time our team of 21 staff and 19 gritters are on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We have fiver weather stations across Sheffield that provides us with up-to-the-minute weather forecasts, helping us to decide when we need to grit the city’s roads.
We have 2 priority categories:
- priority 1 routes – the main arterial routes which link Sheffield to other major cities and motorways
- priority 2 routes – other main routes, such as bus routes, link roads, roads where key public service facilities are located, and rural routes
We also grit and clear snow from our busiest pavements and pedestrianised areas, for example around the train station, hospitals and main retail areas.
We do not grit any other pavements across the city.
Snow clearing advice
GOV.UK has a guide to clearing snow from a road, path or cycleway. We accept no liability for any injury cause to or by persons volunteering to clear snow or ice.
Grit salt bins
We have over 1900 grit bins across the city, which are checked and filled at the start of each winter.
If you would like to find your local grit bin please see our map.
Request for relocating an under-used grit bin
If you would like to request a grit bin relocation then the site you are recommending would need to meet 2 or more of the following criteria:
- a road has a drainage problem
- a road has a steep gradient of 1 in 10 (10%)
- there is a bad bend that has a radius of less than 50 metres
- on a junction
- a road has a main entrance to sheltered housing
- a road has a main entrance to a school
- in an isolated area
- traffic signal are close (within 20m)
- a roundabout is close (within 20m)
If your location meets 2 or more of the criteria then please fill out our online form and ask us to relocate a grit bin. This will be assessed by the Streets Ahead team at the end of the winter season, with priority given to the highest scoring sites.
We would not usually consider grit bins within 200 metres of an existing grit bin, or a grit bin on any road that forms part of the priority 1 or 2 precautionary gritting routes.