If you want to close a public road or highway you need our permission.

Who can apply for a temporary road closure

Anyone can request a road to be closed temporarily. Roadworks are the most common reason for closing a road for a set amount of time. Other reasons include street parties, events, building demolition and the use of heavy plant machinery.

How long you can close a road

The maximum duration for a road closure is 18 months.

How much it costs and how much notice you need to give

The cost and minimum notice period depends on the type of road closure. Road closures for events or street parties may not incur a charge and you should contact us to find out if there will be any costs.

Standard charges and submission periods are:

  • to close a road for more than 5 days your application should be submitted a minimum of 6 weeks before the planned start date to allow for statutory advertising in local newspapers. The cost to close a road for more than 5 days is £1,995
  • if you want to close it for less than 5 days your application needs to be submitted 4 weeks before the planned start date. It costs £800 to close a road for less than 5 days
  • in the case of an emergency or urgent road closure you can apply retrospectively as soon as is reasonably possible. The cost for this closure is £800

What you need to apply

You will need to submit:

  • a traffic management plan including the precise location of works and diversion route including road names
  • a proposed access arrangement for vulnerable road users like pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
You need to make sure that:
  • planned works advance warning signs are erected 10 days prior to the works commencing
  • all traffic management complies with the safety at street works and road works code of practice issued by the Department of Transport

What happens after you've applied

Your application will only be considered successful once it has been processed and a permit is produced.

If we grant your licence then the details will be recorded and you will be given an exclusive reference code that relates to the permit at the agreed location and for an agreed period.

If a submitted application has been processed and is subsequently cancelled by you the fee is non-refundable.

Apply for a temporary road closure permit

To apply you can contact Highway Network Management on 0114 27 36677 or by email highways@sheffield.gov.uk, or you can apply online.

Contact Highway Network Management