If you want to place temporary traffic lights or stop and go signs on a public highway you need a permit from us.

Who can apply for a permit

Anyone can apply for a licence, but we usually receive requests from contractors in charge of works. Temporary traffic lights may be used for safeguarding the public and people at work, for example, when works are being undertaken on private property.

Who can't apply

This permit is not for utility or highway works, who will need to follow the current electronic permit and noticing procedures. 

How much the permit costs

The cost for the licence is £50 per street. This covers the administration and review of submitted site traffic management drawings.

How long the permit lasts

The duration of the permit will depend on the location and the works associated with the permit.

What happens after you've applied

Your application will only be considered successful once it has been processed and a permit is produced.

If we grant your licence then the details will be recorded and you will be given an exclusive reference code for your permit at the agreed location and for the agreed period.

Apply for a portable traffic light permit

You can request a portable traffic signals permit from Highway Network Management by calling 0114 2736677 or emailing highways@sheffield.gov.uk. You can also apply online.

Contact Highway Network Management