Sheffield's trees and woodlands are an important feature of our landscape, making our city one of the greenest in Europe.

Trees are protected in a number of ways:

  • Tree Preservation Orders
  • conservation areas
  • planning conditions

We mainly cover trees in gardens and on other privately owned land.

Tree Preservation Orders

Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) can be on individual trees, on a woodland or cover particular trees within an area.

If you require further information to identify the protection status of a specific tree on your land this will be on the original TPO plan for the tree/trees.

If you would like a copy of the plan, take a note of the number of the TPO (808/xxx) and call us on 0114 203 9183. There is a charge of £15 which you can pay over the phone.

To find out if you have TPOs on your land or are in a conservation area and if your tree is protected, please use the map below.

Apply for consent to work on your tree

We receive a large number of applications every month to do work to trees. We will usually deal with TPO applications within 8 weeks of validation.

We require 6 weeks notification to do work to trees in a conservation area. It is advisable to allow for these timeframes when contacting a tree surgeon.

We will make a site visit during this time to assess the proposals. Our Tree Officer may wish to contact you as part of this to arrange access or check other details.

All of our decisions are made under the Town and Country Planning Act (1990) and National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).

Government Planning Practice Guidance (PPG) on TPO’s and protected trees in conservation areas.

The PPG helps explain more about the application process and what service you can expect from us.

Contact Environmental Planning

4th Floor
Howden House

S1 2SH