Disabled parking bay markings are used to make other drivers aware that a parking space (on a street) is needed by a person with mobility problems. If you're a Blue Badge holder you can request a disabled parking bay.
Disabled bay road markings are only advisory and are not legally enforceable in the same way that yellow lines are. You should also bear in mind that disabled bays are available for all Blue Badge holders to use. However, they have been successfully used to help disabled people access their homes at many locations across Sheffield.
You need to make a non-refundable payment of £100 with your application. This doesn't guarantee that your application will be accepted. If your application is accepted then you'll make a further payment to cover the cost of providing the road markings.
Current costs are:
- £102 assessment fee
- £128 cost of road markings
- Total cost of £230
These charges are reviewed annually and are subject to change.
How to apply
To apply you'll need to meet these requirements:
- you must be a member of Sheffield City Council’s Blue Badge disabled person’s car parking scheme and have qualified for the badge because of impaired mobility
- the vehicle that will be using the bay must be registered at the property and the driver must be yourself or someone else residing at the property
- the property must be your main place of residence and not have suitable off-road parking (eg a driveway or garage)
- you must not have use of a garage away from your property
Before you apply please be aware that:
- it must be accompanied by a copy of the vehicle’s V5C registration certificate or for a motability vehicle a copy of your insurance document. Your application will not be considered without copies of this document
- if you choose to pay the assessment fee by cheque you should send a cheque with your application form made payable to Sheffield City Council. If you choose to pay by debit card select that option on the form and we'll contact you to make the payment over the phone
- a member of the Council’s Traffic Regulations team will visit your property to check that there is a suitable, safe place to put the bay
- markings will only be provided on the Public Highway. We can't provide bays on car parks, or other off road areas
- your vehicle must display your blue badge when parked in the bay
- misuse of a disabled person’s bay may result in its removal. In such circumstances there will be no refund of any payments made
- the decision to approve or reject your application for a disabled persons parking bay road marking will be made entirely at the discretion of Sheffield City Council. Completion of the application form does not guarantee that a marking will be provided
- in the event of an unsuccessful application your assessment fee will not be returned to you. However, you can appeal against the decision to the Scheme Design Team Manager
Apply for a disabled parking bay by completing the application form and returning it to: Traffic Regulations, Howden House, 1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH.
You can pay for your application by sending a cheque in the post with your completed form or choose to pay by debit card on your form and we'll be in touch to make the payment.
It could take up to 12 weeks for your application to be processed and up to another 12 weeks for our contractor to paint your road markings.
Repainting existing markings
If your disabled markings need to be repainted please contact us on 0114 273 6894. The repainting charge is currently £128 but may be subject to change.