Teachers and other educationalists can borrow up-to-date, newly-published and specialist children’s materials to support both the curriculum and reading for pleasure.
Each member of school staff can borrow a project loan of up to 35 items plus 4 guided reading sets, DVDs and full class sets. These can be exchanged as often as required.
Schools are also entitled to a bulk loan of over 100 fiction books depending on pupil numbers. These can be part or fully exchanged at any time. Items can be chosen and collected in person, or chosen by us and delivered to the school once a term.
During school holidays we are open Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, closed on Fridays.
During term time we are open Monday to Thursday, midday to 6pm, closed on Fridays. We also open the first Saturday at the start of each full term, 9am to 12.30pm.
Subscribe to the Schools' Library Service
Our subscription package includes help, advice and access to over 300,000 titles and displays. Subscribers are invited to author and illustrator visits, book launches and conferences. They can also take part in the Sheffield Children’s Book Awards, including receiving free packs of the shortlisted books and attending the ceremony.
Our subscriptions also include:
- practical help and advice on all aspects of library resources and school libraries
- book-buying visits to book suppliers to enable you to buy materials for your school with favourable discounts, negotiated on your behalf
- regular INSET courses on a range of topics to complement and enhance your work in the classroom
- regular meetings to support secondary school librarians
- recommendations to help in development of a library policy, including plan furniture, layout and stock maintenance
- guided reading sets to support literacy work in the classroom
- full class sets
- local history materials
- primary packs
- dual language material
- large format books
- fiction and non-fiction
- specific titles and types of materials for Special Schools – available to order on request
- specialist collections to support the curriculum e.g. modern foreign languages, SEAL resources and picture packs
- display collections for special events such as book weeks, parents’ evenings and author visits