We host and run a wide range of events and activities across all our libraries including:
- talks, reading events and theatre
- children and families events
- social events
- classes and workshops
- life skills and advice
Details of some of our regular group meetings are provided below. Further information on our up and coming library events can be found on our online events page. If you would like to join or help run a group, please get in touch using the contact details on this page.
Coffee mornings, craft groups & other social activities
- Ecclesall Library: first and third Thursday in the month, 10am to 12noon
- Firth Park Library: every Friday, 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Highfield Library: every Wednesday, 10am to 12noon
- Hillsborough Library: every Friday, 10am to 12 noon
- Newfield Green Library: every Friday, 9.30am to 11.30am
Art & craft groups
- Crystal Peaks Library
- Women's Craft Group for over 60s: Mondays, 10am to 12noon
- Knit and Natter: Thursdays, 10am to 12noon
- Cross Stitch Club: first, third and fourth Tuesday in the month, 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Stitches Circle: Thursdays, 1.15pm to 3.15pm
- Brush Strokes Painting Group: Fridays, 2pm to 4pm
- Ecclesall Library, Knit and Natter: Fridays, 10.30am to 12noon
- Firth Park Library, Bizzy Fingers: Mondays, 10.30am to 11.30am
- Hillsborough Library, Stitches and Stories reading and craft group: every third Monday in the month, contact the library for details
- Stocksbridge Library, Knitting and Chat: second and fourth Saturday in the month, 10am to 12noon. Contact the library for details
Other social groups
- Crystal Peaks Library, Crystal Peaks Bereavement Drop-in Centre: Fridays, 10am to 12noon.
Opportunity to meet with other people who have experienced loss. There is an informal atmosphere and coffee and tea are served. For anyone wishing to speak privately there is a separate room available.
- Manor Library
- Agewell Friendship Circle: alternate Fridays from 1pm to 4pm. Contact the library for information.
- Manor Social Cafe 'Springboard': alternate Mondays, 10am to 4pm.
Drop in for people who want to get out and meet new people or boost their confidence and self-esteem
Children & young people
Chatterbooks reading groups
Our Chatterbooks reading groups are open to children aged 8 to 12 years old. Reading for pleasure is important for everyone's development, and Chatterbooks reading groups help children build a lifelong reading habit.
At Chatterbooks sessions children talk about what they are reading and take part in fun activities inspired by the very best children's books.
Every child that joins a group is given a free welcome pack to encourage them to read, talk about what they are reading and keep a record of the books that they have read. All for free.
We currently run groups at the following libraries during term-time:
- Chapeltown Library: first Tuesday in the month during term time, 4pm to 5pm
- Crystal Peaks Library: second Friday in the month, 4pm to 5pm
- Ecclesall Library: third Friday in the month, 4.30pm to 5.30pm
- Firth Park Library: every four weeks on Wednesday 4-5pm
- Hillsborough Library: second Monday in the month, 4pm to 5pm
- Highfield Library: last Monday in the month, 5pm to 6pm
- Stocksbridge Library: second Monday in the month, 3.45pm to 4.45pm
We are looking to set up further groups in other libraries so if you are interested you can either join one of the groups listed above (contact the library for details) or go into your local library and let them know that you would like them to set up a group there.
Art & craft groups
We currently run art and craft groups for your children to get creative at the following libraries:
- Highfield Library: second Wednesday of the month, 4pm to 5pm. A group for 7 to 11 year olds
- Newfield Green Library: every Thursday 3.30pm to 5pm
- Parson Cross Library: third Tuesday in the month, 3.30pm to 4.30pm
Hive Young Writers
Hive Young Writers Sheffield is a free writing group for young people aged 14 to 19. It is held at the Central Children's Library fortnightly on Wednesdays during term time, 5.30pm to 7.30pm.
The group supports young people to develop their writing through a wide range of creative writing workshops, visiting writers and related writing projects and opportunities.
The group is informal and friendly and refreshments are provided. You don’t have to think you’re a great writer to attend, you just need a keenness to try new things!
Young people's reading groups
We currently run a young people’s reading group at Ecclesall Library 4pm to 5pm on the third Thursday of each month.
Events for under 5s
All times quoted are term time only unless stated otherwise:
- Crystal Peaks Library: Thursdays, 10am to 11am (2 years and under)
- Central Children's & Young People's Library: Fridays, 11am to 12noon
- Chapeltown Library: second Tuesday in the month, 10.30am to 11.30am
- Darnall Library: Fridays, 10.30am to 11.30am
- Ecclesall Library: Thursdays, 2pm to 3pm
- Firth Park Library: Tuesdays, 10.30am to 11.30am
- Highfield Library: Fridays, 11.15am to 12.15pm
- Hillsborough Library: Wednesdays, 10am to 11.15am
- Manor Library: alternate Mondays, 10am to 11am
- Parson Cross Library: Fridays, 10am to 11am
- Stocksbridge Library: second Monday in the month, 10.30am to 11.15am
All times quoted are term time only, unless stated otherwise:
- Chapeltown Library: Thursdays, 10.45am to 11.30am
- Ecclesall Library: Mondays, 2pm to 2.45pm
- Firth Park Library: Fridays, 10.30am - 11.30am from January 2017
- Highfield Library: Tuesdays, 11.15am to 12noon
- Hillsborough Library: Tuesdays, 2pm to 3pm
- Parson Cross Library: check with library staff
- Stocksbridge Library: Tuesdays, 10.30am to 11.15am
All times quoted are term time only, unless stated otherwise:
- Crystal Peaks Library: Mondays, 10am to 11am (term time only)
- Ecclesall Library: third Friday in the month, 2pm to 3pm
- Highfield Library: last Friday of the month, 11.15am to 12.15pm
Other regular activities for babies and toddlers
- Highfield Library - Breast Feeding Cafe: Mondays, 10am to 12noon
- Manor Library - Baby Massage: Tuesdays from 11am to 12noon
Writing & poetry groups
Are you the next J K Rowling or Stephen King? Would you like to share your writing with others for constructive feedback? Got a book inside you but need the inspiration to get started? Need the confidence to begin formulating ideas for storylines and characters?
An informal group for anyone with an interest of poetry. From Carol Ann Duffy to Edward Lear, bring along your favourite poem, feel free to bring your own, or just sit back, relax and enjoy.
The perfect way to start the weekend.
Both groups meet monthly in the Central Library Biographies Room, 10.30am to 12noon. For a list of upcoming dates, visit our online events booking page or contact the Central Library.
Over 50 and love talking about sport?
Whether it is cricket, rugby, football, boxing, snooker or athletics, share your sporting memories with other sports fans over old photographs, newspaper articles and memorabilia.
Informative, friendly and free groups, now running at the following libraries and you're welcome to just drop in:
- Central Library: Thursdays, 10am to 11.30am
- Crystal Peaks Library: every Tuesday, 10.30 to 12noon
- Ecclesall Library: every Wednesday, 10.30am to 12noon
- Firth Park Library: every Monday, 10.30am to 11.30am
- Parson Cross Library: every Monday, 10.30am to 12noon
- Stocksbridge Library: every Monday, 10.30am to 12noon
Contact the library for more information about the groups.
Business events & clinics
The Business and Intellectual Property (IP) Centre Sheffield in partnership with the British Library Business and IP Centre National Network, is a vital resource for entrepreneurs, innovators and business start-ups.
Based on the ground floor of the Central Library in the city centre, we provide you with the ideal tools to research your business with a range of business databases, trade publications, business literature and guides to support your business information needs.
Business & IP Sheffield is the go-to hub for information on Intellectual Property and offers a wide range of workshops, events and networking opportunities tailored to help you to understand all you need to know about protecting your business idea from the very start. If you are interested in attending one of the sessions listed below or finding out more about upcoming sessions, please get in touch.
We also deliver a range of 1:1 clinics and advice sessions.
First Steps to Marketing Clinics
These are 1:1 sessions. Get free advice on marketing your business and developing your business plan. These are offered by appointment only, please call or email to book.
Each month a Patent Attorney will give free advice during a 45 minute session to support you with developing and protecting your ideas. There will also be the opportunity to look through a database with a member of staff who can help you check the subject of your invention or advise you on how the library can help. A deposit of £10 is required to secure this booking.
Each month a Patent Attorney will give free advice during a 45 minute session to support you with developing and protecting your brand. A deposit of £10 is required to secure this booking.
Innovator in Residence
Our Innovator in Residence, Roger Tipple, runs free information sessions where you can discuss your ideas, ask advice and draw upon his vast experience in the world of Business and Intellectual Property (IP). Roger is a serial innovator who has created, developed and exploited his own inventions and other people's and whose company, Tipple Associates, has many years’ experience in successful product innovation.
Workshops & talks
We deliver an ongoing series of talks and workshops on various aspects of building your business. These include:
- researching your market
- introduction to Copyright
- know Your IP
- introduction to Social Media for business
- talks from successful and inspiring entrepreneurs
Life Skills and Advice
Teach yourself books
Research tools from the eLibrary (all you need is your library card number):
- planning your career in a week
- run your own business
- succeeding at interviews in a week
- successful business communication in a week
- successful job hunting in a week
- successful people management in a week
- successful pitching in a weeks
- successful public speaking in a week
Work Clubs (Manor and Castle Development Trust)
- Crystal Peaks Library, 1-3 Peak Square, Waterthorpe, S10 7PH: Tuesdays from 2pm to 4pm and Wednesdays from 1.30pm to 3.30pm
- Manor Library, Ridgeway Road (Manor Park), S12 2SS: Thursdays from 10am to 12noon
Book an appointment
Office opening times: Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm.
Telephone 0114 265 5145
52-54 Manor Park Centre
Citizens Advice Bureau sessions
Sheffield Citizens Advice Bureau is running advice sessions at the following libraries:
- Manor Library: Thursdays, 10am to 12noon
- Woodseats Library: Thursdays, 9.30am to 1pm for initial assessment drop-in
Sheffield Credit Union
- Firth Park Library: Wednesdays, 10 to 11am
- Parson Cross Library
- Crystal Peaks Library
Information Points are where people can become members, check their balances, request withdrawals, apply for loans and join the Christmas Savings Club.
Newfield Green Library holds 50+ computer classes on Wednesdays from 11am to 12.30pm.