COVID-19 (coronavirus): Rent payments
In March last year, we temporarily suspended legal recovery action in line with Government advice. We are now taking action against tenants who are not paying their rent or arrears and are not engaging with us.
It is so important to get in touch with us if paying your rent or arrears is a problem for you.
Call our Income Management and Financial Inclusion Team on 0114 293 0000 as soon as possible to avoid any future legal action.
Whilst you should still pay your Council Housing rent if you can, we understand some people’s circumstances have changed and they are struggling.
How we can help
There are lots of ways we can help:
- provide advice about benefits and maximising your income
- help with claims for grants or discretionary payments
- set up a payment plan that suits you so you can pay arrears over time
- signpost you to other agencies for specialised debt support
We will look at each case individually and come up with solutions that work for you.
Contact us to find out how we can help.
If you would prefer to get independent advice, try:
- contact Citizens Advice, phone 08444 111444 or 020 81850710
- visit Entitled To and check if you can claim Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit to top up your income
- information on Universal Credit
- see Coronavirus (COVID-19): what to do if you’re employed and cannot work about financial support available if your employment has been affected by COVID-19
- you may be eligible for a Test and Trace payment if you are isolating